Certificate of Proficiency


  • Trio of flatmates Depositphotos 8537103


If you want to study for one semester or one year at the University of Canterbury and do not want to complete a full qualification, you may apply for a Certificate of Proficiency. A Certificate of Proficiency consists of an approved course or courses.

The Certificate of Proficiency gives you the opportunity to select a course or courses to develop your own individual programmes of study to meet your learning needs.

If you successfully complete a Certificate of Proficiency, your results are recorded on your academic transcript and can be recognised through a printed certificate.

If you decide to stay at UC to complete a formal qualification, the courses taken may be credited towards your qualification but this will not happen automatically. Your academic record will have to be assessed by the relevant College to ensure you have fulfilled the prerequisite conditions.

Incoming study abroad and exchange

If you want to complete one or two semesters of undergraduate study at UC, and credit these studies to your overseas university degree, UC offers Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange programmes.

Contact us

For assistance with planning your programme of study contact the Liaison Office.

For more general information email info@canterbury.ac.nz or freephone 0800 VARSITY (827 748).

For the full degree requirements see the Enrolment Regulations and Fees and Fines Regulations.