Learn the science of how volcanoes work and the skills of a field volcanologist to investigate and communicate volcanic hazards. Join UCx on edX to enrol!
What you will learn
- Describe why volcanoes erupt in Iceland and New Zealand.
- Use the field skills of a volcanologist to explain and describe volcanic rocks and landscapes.
- Explain why different volcano types have different eruption hazards.
- Appreciate the value of cross-cultural perspectives from Māori narratives and values to stories of Icelandic trolls.
- Apply field data and historic eruption stories to discuss volcanic hazard implications in different locations in Iceland and Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Discuss the plan to drill into a magma chamber, weigh up the societal benefits such as renewable geothermal energy and better eruption prediction with risks and costs.
- Use appropriate cultural consideration and apply communication skills to describe volcanic processes to diverse audience.