Wananga landing Wananga landing

Certificate of Proficiency

20 September 2023

If you want to study for one semester or one year at UC and you do not want to complete a full qualification, you can apply for a Certificate of Proficiency. This gives you the opportunity to select one or more courses to suit your learning needs. Find out more and get in touch if you need help planning your studies.


If you want to study for one semester or one year at Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury (UC) and do not want to complete a full qualification, you may apply for a Certificate of Proficiency.

The Certificate of Proficiency gives you the opportunity to select a single course or multiple courses of choice to meet your learning needs.

If you successfully complete a Certificate of Proficiency, your results are recorded on your academic transcript and can be recognised through a printed transcript. Find out more about how to order a print copy of an official academic transcript.

If you decide to stay at UC to complete a formal qualification, the courses taken may be credited towards your qualification. Your academic record will have to be assessed to ensure you have fulfilled the prerequisite conditions.


Incoming study abroad and exchange

If you want to complete one or two semesters of undergraduate study at UC, and credit these studies to your home university degree, UC offers Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange programmes.

See Ako Ki Tāwāhi | Study Abroad Prospectus for more information about course options and life in Aotearoa New Zealand.

The standard admission requirements apply depending on the level you want to study at. You also need to make sure that you meet any course specific requirements.

Costs for your study will also depend on the level and number of courses you choose. Indicative fees for each course are listed in each course description.

Search for the specific course or subject you want to study on Qualifications and courses.

See also the Enrolment Regulations and Fees and Fines Regulations.


How to apply

Depending on the level of the course or courses you want to study, see how to apply for undergraduate qualifications or apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.

For study planning help, contact a Student Advisor.

Study Abroad Prospectus

Brochure all about studying for a semester or more at University of Canterbury in New Zealand.
Download (application/pdf, 1 MB)
Privacy Preferences

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.