A Bachelor of Science (BSc) is about understanding and improving the natural world through observation, experimentation, modelling and calculation. As a BSc student in physical or chemical sciences, you'll explore the wonder of our world and universe, join a community of like-minded thinkers and apply your mind to solving real-world problems.
As an undergraduate science student at UC you will:
- Be exposed to new ideas and technologies
- Get hands-on in laboratories and field stations, using high-tech equipment
- Develop your research skills
- Learn to understand and influence the world around you
- Gain work-ready skills and the knowledge employers need.
- Find out more about the structure and requirements for a Bachelor of Science degree
- For those wanting a lighter load than a degree, see the Certificate in Science
- If you have a degree in another area, you may be able to study the Graduate Diploma in Science
- Discover entry requirements, course details and study pathways for a degree in Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, , Physics or Medicinal Chemistry.
- Investigate potential career options depending on your science major.
Undergraduate courses in Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Physics are designed both for students majoring in one of those subjects and for students taking a few courses while majoring in other subjects.
Applied learning at undergraduate level happens:
- in laboratory sessions
- on fieldtrips, utilising facilities such as the Mount John astronomical observatory in Tekapo
- using technology like Hercules, a high resolution spectograph, or the MARS X-ray image scanner
- around campus, for example testing pH levels in Ilam Stream waterway
- on industry projects, like the final-year Physics in Industry Projects Scheme.
These experiences deepen your skillset, awareness of others, working knowledge, and employability.
If you have excellent Year 13 results or a New Zealand Certificate in Science with outstanding merit, you may be able to fast-track your degree and gain direct entry to the second year of a Undergraduate. This gives students the opportunity to complete an honours degree in three years.
Science graduates have many career options that allow them to follow their passion and make a difference. Learn more.
UC's BSc in Astronomy offers broad training in many branches of science, making graduates highly employable.
Biochemistry is a BSc major and a focus for some of the world's most exciting, innovative and life-changing research.
Environmental Science looks at how the earth works, how people are affecting the environment and how to solve environmental issues.
A BSc in Physics offers a range of problem-solving skills and gives graduates a sound science education.
Discover UC SPCS, our campus and vibrant Christchurch city
SPCS is offering a special Start Online, Finish On-Campus pathway for international students interested in studying one of the BSc study pathways offered by the School.
For more information, get in touch with our