Programme CoordinatorTom Wilson
Disaster Risk and Resilience
Beatrice Tinsley Rm 210
Internal Phone: 94503
His interests focus on the impacts of natural hazards to society, with a focus on critical infrastructure, primary industries and rural communities.
Qualifications & Memberships
Natural hazard and risk assessment, with special interest in volcanic eruptions. Impacts of natural hazards to critical infrastructure and primary industries - including development of innovative methods to analysis vulnerability to volcanic ash fall. Community resilience to natural hazards. Evacuation and loss modelling using geospatial platforms (GIS).
- Biass S., Jenkins SF., Aeberhard WH., Delmelle P. and Wilson T. (2022) Insights into the vulnerability of vegetation to tephra fallouts from interpretable machine learning and big Earth observation data. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 22(9): 2829-2855. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/nhess-22-2829-2022.
- Deligne NI., Jenkins SF., Meredith ES., Williams GT., Leonard GS., Stewart C., Wilson TM., Biass S., Blake DM. and Blong RJ. (2022) From anecdotes to quantification: advances in characterizing volcanic eruption impacts on the built environment. Bulletin of Volcanology 84(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00445-021-01506-8.
- Scott E., Bebbington M., Wilson T., Kennedy B. and Leonard G. (2022) Development of a Bayesian event tree for short-term eruption onset forecasting at Taupō volcano. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 432 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2022.107687.
- Weir AM., Mead S., Bebbington MS., Wilson TM., Beaven S., Gordon T. and Campbell-Smart C. (2022) A modular framework for the development of multi-hazard, multi-phase volcanic eruption scenario suites. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 427 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2022.107557.
- Williams JH., Wilson TM., Wotherspoon L., Paulik R., Lane EM., Horspool N., Weir A., Hughes MW., Schoenfeld MR. and Brannigan D. (2022) Tsunami damage and post-event disruption assessment of road and electricity infrastructure: A collaborative multi-agency approach in Ōtautahi Christchurch, Aotearoa New Zealand. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 72 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2022.102841.