Research in the environmental chemistry group focuses on the fate and behaviour of contaminants in the environment including human exposure to contaminants. Our projects are interdisciplinary and collaborative. Current projects include determining the effects of environmental stressors and contaminants on production of cyanotoxins in Canterbury waterways, investigating the effects of co-contamination of copper on pesticide degradation in soil and the presence of endocrine disrupting compounds in Antarctic waters and animals.
- Bridson JH., Abbel R., Smith DA., Northcott GL. and Gaw S. (2023) Impact of accelerated weathering on the leaching kinetics of stabiliser additives from microplastics. Journal of Hazardous Materials 459 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2023.132303.
- Bridson JH., Abbel R., Smith DA., Northcott GL. and Gaw S. (2023) Release of additives and non-intentionally added substances from microplastics under environmentally relevant conditions. Environmental Advances 12 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envadv.2023.100359.
- Bridson JH., Abbel R., Smith DA., Northcott GL. and Gaw S. (2023) Solving a microplastic dilemma? Evaluating additive release with a dynamic leaching method for microplastic assessment (DyLeMMA). MethodsX 10 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mex.2023.102221.
- De Silva NAL., Marsden ID., Gaw S. and Glover CN. (2023) Physiological and biochemical responses of the estuarine pulmonate mud snail, Amphibola crenata, sub-chronically exposed to waterborne cadmium. Aquatic Toxicology 256 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aquatox.2023.106418.
- Meister A., Bohm K., Gutiérrez-Ginés MJ., Gaw S., Dickinson N. and Robinson B. (2023) Effects of native plants on nitrogen cycling microorganisms in soil. Applied Soil Ecology 191 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2023.105031.