I am interested in understanding how hydrologic systems function, specifically the groundwater component. My research areas include groundwater dynamics in coastal regions, groundwater - surface water interaction, and landscape restoration. I characterise field systems using various methods and parameters including pressure, conductivity and natural tracers. I test processes and perform sensitivity analyses using analytic, numeric and physical modelling. I am an Associate Editor for Hydrogeology Journal, the flagship journal of the International Association of Hydrogeologists.
I am Principal Investigator in the following MBIE Endeavour research programs:
* Subsurface processes in braided rivers - hyporheic exchange and leakage to groundwater (2019 - 2024)
* Transforming coastal lowland systems threatened by sea-level rise into prosperous communities (2021 - 2026)
- Setiawan I., Morgan L. and Doscher C. (2023) Saltwater intrusion from a tidal river: a field investigation. Journal of Hydrology 617(Part A) 128955 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.128955.
- Banks E., Morgan L., Sai Louie A., Wilson S. and Dempsey D. (2022) Active distributed temperature sensing to assess surface water–groundwater interaction and river loss in braided river systems. Journal of Hydrology 615, Part A http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2022.128667.
- Bosserelle A., Morgan L. and Hughes M. (2022) Groundwater Rise and Associated Flooding in Coastal Settlements due to Sea-Level Rise: A Review of Processes and Methods. Earth's Future 10(7) e2021EF002580 http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2021EF002580.
- Morgan L. and Mountjoy J. (2022) Likelihood of offshore freshened groundwater in New Zealand. Hydrogeology Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10040-022-02525-1.
- Setiawan I., Morgan L., Doscher C., Ng K. and Bosserelle A. (2022) Christchurch shallow groundwater quality survey dataset. Data in Brief 41 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2022.107982.