Associate ProfessorDaniela Liggett
My research interests include environmental management and tourism regulation in extreme environments (with a particular focus on the polar regions), tourism practice and theory, value systems as well as decision-making on environmental and climate change issues.
I am currently involved in research projects focussing on (a) human activities and their impacts in the McMurdo Dry Valleys (Antarctica), (b) Antarctic futures, (c) Antarctic gateway cities, (d) Antarctic geopolitics (in particular decision-making in relation to tourism politics and environmental management), and (e) the complex relationships between users and providers of weather and climate information. The latter project is associated with the World Meteorological Organization's (WMO) Polar Prediction Project (PPP).
Methodologically, I am interested in qualitative research that crosses different disciplines and challenges conventional research paradigms.
- Liggett D., Cajiao D., Lamers M., Leung Y-F. and Stewart EJ. (2023) The future of sustainable polar ship-based tourism. Cambridge Prisms: Coastal Futures 1 e21 http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/cft.2023.10.
- Liggett D., Herbert A., Badhe R., Charnley GEC., Hudson KPC., Kelman I., Lee WS., Lorenzo C., Marques-Quinteiro P. and Nash M. (2023) Researchers on ice? How the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted Antarctic researchers. Antarctic Science 35(2): 141-160. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0954102023000020.
- Wilson J., Jung T., Bazile E., Bromwich D., Casati B., Day J., De Coning E., Eayrs C., Grumbine R. and Ioue J. (2023) The YOPP Final Summit: Assessing Past and Forecasting Future Polar Prediction Research. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 104(3): E660-E665. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-22-0282.1.
- Frame B., Liggett D., Lindström K., Roura RM. and van der Watt LM. (2022) Tourism and heritage in Antarctica: exploring cultural, natural and subliminal experiences. Polar Geography 45(1): 37-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1088937X.2021.1918787.
- Hughes KA., Santos M., Caccavo JA., Chignell SM., Gardiner NB., Gilbert N., Howkins A., Van Vuuren BJ., Lee JR. and Liggett D. (2022) Ant-ICON - 'Integrated Science to Inform Antarctic and Southern Ocean Conservation': A new SCAR Scientific Research Programme. Antarctic Science 34(6): 446-455. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0954102022000402.