Research in the environmental chemistry group focuses on the fate and behaviour of contaminants in the environment including human exposure to contaminants. Our projects are interdisciplinary and collaborative. Current projects include determining the effects of environmental stressors and contaminants on production of cyanotoxins in Canterbury waterways, investigating the effects of co-contamination of copper on pesticide degradation in soil and the presence of endocrine disrupting compounds in Antarctic waters and animals.
- Bridson JH., Patel M., Lewis A., Gaw S. and Parker K. (2020) Microplastic contamination in Auckland (New Zealand) beach sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin 151 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.110867.
- Charry MP., Keesing V., Gaw S., Costello MJ., Champeau O. and Tremblay LA. (2020) Assessing the Efficacy of a Sediment Remediation Program Using Benthic and Pelagic Copepod Bioassays. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 39(2): 492-499. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/etc.4632.
- Emnet P., Mahaliyana AS., Northcott G. and Gaw S. (2020) Organic Micropollutants in Wastewater Effluents and the Receiving Coastal Waters, Sediments, and Biota of Lyttelton Harbour (Te Whakaraupō), New Zealand. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00244-020-00760-9.
- Guy S., Gaw S., Pearson AJ., Golovko O. and Lechermann M. (2020) Spatial variability in Polonium-210 and Lead-210 activity concentration in New Zealand shellfish and dose assessment. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 211 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2019.106043.
- Lischka A., Braid HE., Pannell JL., Pook CJ., Gaw S., Yoo M. and Bolstad KSR. (2020) Regional assessment of trace element concentrations in arrow squids (Nototodarus gouldi, N. sloanii) from New Zealand waters: Bioaccessibility and impact on food web and human consumers. Environmental Pollution 264 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.114662.