My research expertise is in the field of glaciology, specifically glacier mass balance, dynamics, and climate change, with a focus on mountain glaciers in Te Tiritiri-o-te-moana, the New Zealand Southern Alps. I am very interested in glaciological change that occurs over short temporal scales; that which impacts utilization of the glacier resource, for example glacier-tourism. I also focus on interactions and feedbacks between all aspects of glacier mass balance from snow accumulation processes to ablation processes, including the role of avalanche nourishment to glacier resilience. Most recently, I have been exploring rapid change at lake-calving glaciers, and the impact that crevasses have on glacier mass balance...
Current research projects:
* The role of crevasses on surface energy balance of alpine glaciers
* Bathymetric and terminus evolution at lake calving glaciers
* Morphological evolution and feedbacks at retreating glacier termini
* Characteristics of alpine snowpacks - managing snow in a warming world
* Implications of glacier retreat on tourism and recreation
- Baumann S., Anderson B., Chinn T., MacKintosh A., Collier C., Lorrey AM., Rack W., Purdie H. and Eaves S. (2021) Updated inventory of glacier ice in New Zealand based on 2016 satellite imagery. Journal of Glaciology 67(261): 13-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jog.2020.78.
- Porhemmat R., Purdie H., Zawar-Reza P., Zammit C. and Kerr T. (2021) Moisture Transport during Large Snowfall Events in the New Zealand Southern Alps: The Role of Atmospheric Rivers. Journal of Hydrometeorology 22(2): 425-444. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/jhm-d-20-0044.1.
- Porhemmat R., Purdie H., Zawar-Reza P., Zammit C. and Kerr T. (2021) The influence of atmospheric circulation patterns during large snowfall events in New Zealand's Southern Alps. International Journal of Climatology 41(4): 2397-2417. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/joc.6966.
- Purdie H., Bealing P., Gomez C., Anderson B. and Marsh OJ. (2021) Morphological changes to the terminus of a maritime glacier during advance and retreat phases: Fox Glacier/Te Moeka o Tuawe, New Zealand. Geografiska Annaler, Series A: Physical Geography 103(2): 167-185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/04353676.2020.1840179.
- Cody E., Anderson BM., McColl ST., Fuller IC. and Purdie HL. (2020) Paraglacial adjustment of sediment slopes during and immediately after glacial debuttressing. Geomorphology 371 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2020.107411.