Qualifications & Memberships
I am interested in understanding how communities and groups collectively decide on the distribution of environmental goods and bads in society. This entails examining a variety of processes and arrangements for participatory and collaborative environmental governance, with a view to understanding the extent to which they are (a) effective in terms of securing or advancing social and environmental sustainability, and (b) democratically legitimate in terms of procedural and distributional justice. While my work is primarily focused on water governance, I am also interested in environmental politics and governance more broadly. I research collaborative environmental governance in diverse settings, and across scales, from the governance of global flows and networks, to grassroots community initiatives and local projects.
- Coenen J., Bager S., Meyfroidt P., Newig J. and Challies E. (2021) Environmental Governance of China's Belt and Road Initiative. Environmental Policy and Governance 31(1): 3-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/eet.1901.
- Jager NW., Newig J., Challies E. and Kochskämper E. (2021) Erratum: Pathways to Implementation: Evidence on How Participation in Environmental Governance Impacts on Environmental Outcomes (2021) DOI: 10.1093/jopart/muz034). Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 31(3): 616. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muab006.
- Jager NW., Newig J., Challies E., Kochskämper E. and von Wehrden H. (2021) Case study meta-analysis in the social sciences. Insights on data quality and reliability from a large-N case survey. Research Synthesis Methods http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1514.
- Schilling-Vacaflor A., Lenschow A., Challies E., Cotta B. and Newig J. (2021) Contextualizing certification and auditing: Soy certification and access of local communities to land and water in Brazil. World Development 140 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2020.105281.
- Jager NW., Newig J., Challies E. and Kochskämper E. (2020) Pathways to implementation: Evidence on how participation in environmental governance impacts on environmental outcomes. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 30(3): 383-399. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muz034.