Qualifications & Memberships
I am interested in anything to do with fossils and palaeontology, and the application of fossils to understanding Earth history. My current research interests include the New Zealand geological histories and development of, and the human impacts on, modern estuaries and waterways that I investigate through microfossil and sediment records. Deeper in geological time I also research the evolution and ecology of Palaeozoic bryozoans and their response to changing ocean chemistry and palaeogeography. I have worked in Tasmania, the Canadian Arctic and throughout New Zealand and love any excuse to get out in the field.
Key palaeontological skills - New Zealand foraminifera and Palaeozoic bryozoan systematics.
- Reid CM. and Tamberg Y. (2021) Trophic partitioning and feeding capacity in Permian bryozoan faunas of Gondwana. Palaeontology 64(4): 555-572. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/pala.12543.
- Reid C., Begg J., Mouslopoulou V., Oncken O., Nicol A. and Kufner S-K. (2020) Using a calibrated upper living position of marine biota to calculate coseismic uplift: a case study of the 2016 Kaikōura earthquake, New Zealand.. Earth Surface Dynamics 8(2): 351-366. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/esurf-8-351-2020.
- Blokland J., Reid C., Worthy T., Tennyson A., Clarke J. and Scofield R. (2019) Chatham Island Paleocene fossils provide insight into the palaeobiology, evolution, and diversity of early penguins (Aves, Sphenisciformes). Palaeontologia Electronica 22(3) 78: 1-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.26879/1009.
- Blokland J., Reid CM., Worthy TH., Tenneyson AJD., Clarke JA. and Scofield RP. (2019) Chatham Island Paleocene fossils provide insight into the palaeobiology, evolution, and diversity of early penguins (Aves, Sphenisciformes). Palaeontologia Electronica 22(3) 78: 1-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.26879/1009.
- Oze C., Smaill J., Reid C. and Palin M. (2019) Potassium and Metal Release Related to Glaucony Dissolution in Soils. Soil Systems 3(4): 70-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/soilsystems3040070.