My research focuses on understanding processes relevant to the climate system, making fundamental atmospheric measurements (using a mixture of satellite remote sensing and surface observations), and the evaluation of environmental models. I am also an experienced field researcher and my team has participated in 20 Antarctic deployments and 5 Southern Ocean voyages. I also have a passion for science communication leading the award winning ‘Climate Change Series’ of public lectures, teaching how climate research can be used as an exemplar of how scientific issues are communicated and being a talented lecturer (3 nominations for the UCSA Lecturer of the Year).
- Dale ER., Kremser S., Tradowsky JS., Bodeker GE., Bird LJ., Olivares G., Coulson G., Somervell E., Pattinson W. and Barte J. (2021) The winter 2019 air pollution (PM2.5) measurement campaign in Christchurch, New Zealand. Earth System Science Data 13(5): 2053-2075. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/essd-13-2053-2021.
- McErlich C., McDonald A., Schuddeboom A. and Silber I. (2021) Comparing Satellite- and Ground-Based Observations of Cloud Occurrence Over High Southern Latitudes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 126(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2020JD033607.
- McFarquhar GM., Bretherton CS., Marchand R., Protat A., DeMott PJ., Alexander SP., Roberts GC., Twohy CH., Toohey D. and Siems S. (2021) Observations of clouds, aerosols, precipitation, and surface radiation over the southern ocean. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 102(4): E894-E928. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-20-0132.1.
- Dale ER., Katurji M., McDonald AJ., Voss P., Rack W. and Seto D. (2020) A Comparison of AMPS Forecasts Near the Ross Sea Polynya With Controlled Meteorological Balloon Observations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 125(20) http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2019JD030591.
- Farooq U., Rack W., McDonald A. and Howell S. (2020) Long-term analysis of sea ice drift in the western Ross sea, Antarctica, at high and low spatial resolution. Remote Sensing 12(9) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/RS12091402.