Currently working on Sensing City project where we explore the possibilities of smart city and real-time monitoring to improve people's health.
I received my PhD in 2015 from the Department of Geoinformatics at Palacky University in the Czech Republic. In my thesis, I conducted a research study on spatial and spatiotemporal analysis of Campylobacteriosis in the Czech Republic. My main research interest is currently focused on geovisualisation and spatial analyses of health data using spatial and spatiotemporal modelling, and spatial statistics.
I like the interdisciplinary character of Geography and GIS allowing me to work on various projects in completely different fields. So far, I've been using my skills in projects in areas of geohealth, smart cities, landslide monitoring, urban studies, crowdsourcing, mapping, forestry, social networks, archaeology etc. I also have experience in teaching - mostly spatial analysis and geostatistics.
In Sensing City project funded by CRCSI, we examine how air pollution can affect the health of people suffering COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). We aim to create the smart system based on (near) real-time environmental monitoring and individual exposures of patients in order to provide the tool that can inform the public about impaired conditions that may have an effect on their health conditions.
- Hobbs M., Marek L., Clarke R., McCarthy J., Tomintz M., Wade A., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Investigating the prevalence of non-fluoride toothpaste use in adults and children using nationally representative data from New Zealand: a cross-sectional study. British Dental Journal 228(4): 269-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41415-020-1304-5.
- Hobbs M., Marek L., Wiki J., Campbell M., Deng BY., Sharpe H., McCarthy J. and Kingham S. (2020) Close proximity to alcohol outlets is associated with increased crime and hazardous drinking: Pooled nationally representative data from New Zealand. Health and Place 65 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2020.102397.
- Hobbs M., Wade A., Jones P., Marek L., Tomintz M., Sharma K., McCarthy J., Mattingley B., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Area-level deprivation, childhood dental ambulatory sensitive hospitalizations and community water fluoridation: evidence from New Zealand. International journal of epidemiology 49(3): 908-916. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyaa043.
- Marek L., Hobbs M., McCarthy J., Wiki J., Tomintz M., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Investigating spatial variation and change (2006–2017) in childhood immunisation coverage in New Zealand. Social Science & Medicine 113292: 113292-113292. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2020.113292.
- Marek L., Wiki J., Campbell M., Kingham S., Sabel C., Tomintz M. and Hobbs M. (2020) Slipping under the radar: worsened health outcomes in semi-urban areas of New Zealand. New Zealand Medical Journal 133 1519: 121-125.