Undergraduate Science

Undergraduate study at UC Science is your first step to a career in science. There are lots of subjects to choose from, exposing you to new ideas and technologies, and giving you the skills and tools you’ll need to understand and influence the world around you.

Undergraduate qualifications

Need further information or advice?

Get in touch!

How undergraduate study works

Degrees are made up of building blocks called papers. Each paper is worth a certain number of points. The more work a paper requires the more points it is worth. Some papers run for half the academic year (one semester) and others for a whole year. Each paper belongs to a larger subject area. For example, the subject mathematics offers papers in logic, algebra and calculus among others.

Papers are grouped into levels. 100-level refers to first-year courses, 200-level to second-year courses, and so on. You have to pass certain papers in a subject before you can study at 300-level. These are called prerequisites.

The Bachelor of Science requires a minimum total of 360 points:

  • a compulsory 15-point Science course
  • a minimum of 255 points of Science courses
  • the remaining 90 points can be from either Science courses or courses from other degrees.

 At least 225 points must be from courses above 100-level, with at least 90 points at 300-level.

Year 1

Year 2 Year 3
    Science major courses
    Other Science courses
    Courses from Science or other degrees
(1) SCIE 101 is a compulsory course for all BSc students.
(2) Students should allow for more than one potential major subject. Students should check the 100-level requirements for their potential majors as some majors require more than two 100-level courses or enrolment in a complementary subject such as Mathematics.
Each small block represents a 15-point course. However, some courses may be 30 points (or more).
For full course requirements go to the Regulations for the Bachelor of Science.

Science students can choose their major subjects to fit their interests or intended career path and still ensure they receive a broad science education. Some departments recommend having studied certain subjects at school. You can check that information here: Best Preparation for a BSc/BSLP(Hons) (pdf 57KB).

For a major you must complete all majoring requirements including 60 points at 300-level in a single Science subject (unless specified otherwise). When choosing your first-year courses you should include courses that allow you to advance to 200-level in at least two subjects.

See Schedule B to the Bachelor of Science for all course requirements in each subject.

A minor is a selection of courses in a specific subject area. At UC the minimum requirements for a minor are 75 points in total – and of these, 45 points must be at 200 or 300 level. This allows you pick and choose courses from a major that interest you.

From 2020, you will be able to add minors from the BA, BSc, BCom and BSpC to the BSc if you wish – a minor is an option, not a requirement for the BSc.

Conjoint Degrees

Conjoint degrees combine two set degrees into a single bachelor's degree within four years of study. We currently offer two conjoint degrees:

  1. The Conjoint Bachelor of Product Design and Science (student advice about this conjoint is provided primarily by the College of Engineering)
  2. The Conjoint Bachelor of Commerce and Science (student advice about this conjoint is provided primarily by UC Business School)

Double Degrees

Students can take double degrees at UC. The BSc can be taken with most other degrees at UC, with a few exceptions.

Most combinations can be taken in 5 years at 120 points per year (600 points total) and planning is critical to help with this. Students much complete the majoring, minoring and compulsory requirements of both degrees. We recommend talking to a UC liaison officer or student advisorstudent advisor.

The BEng (Hons) double degree with the BSc has special regulations, and students will need to seek advice to ensure that they complete in all the required elements.

On completion, a student will receive a degree parchment for each degree.

At present you can complete the following intermediate courses at UC. They will qualify you for professional courses at other universities.

  • Veterinary Science for Massey University
  • Optometry for the University Auckland

More information can be found in the Enrolment Handbook (see the section titled: "Intermediate programmes for subsequent study at another tertiary institution")

In addition to meeting the requirements of subject major, the degree of Bachelor of Science may be endorsed in the following subjects:

If you wish to add or discontinue any of your current courses you must follow the correct procedure. Find out more on our Academic support webpage.

Ideas and inspiration