Physics in Industry Projects Scheme (PIPS)
Unfortunateley this course is not available in 2021**
In 2018, in a NZ first we were proud to offer our Physics in Industry Projects Scheme (PIPS). In this scheme, final year students work in teams on an industry project that has been defined by a client. The projects will ensure students gain valuable skills in a range of areas with an emphasis on employability.
A limited number of industry projects are available for Honours and final year BSc physics students.
Here is a little information about how it works.
- Projects are done in teams of 4 or more students working towards the same goal
- Each project has an external client, usually a company
- The client sets the problem to be solved
- Students spend at least a day a week on their project
- Besides the project, the PIPS includes modules which teach skills in planning, writing proposals, writing reports, oral presentation, problem solving, creative and critical thinking, job-hunting, poster design, hazard analysis and some other topics
- Each project will count for thirty points
- The projects will be run in conjunction with the College of Engineering
Applications are due on 1 November of the year prior to enroling in this course
Students and employers who are interested in participating in the scheme should contact Professor Simon Brown email@example.com.