Application of geomorphology to prediction of landform response to disturbance, in particular in the context of natural hazard and disaster management. Mechanics of river and debris flow behaviour, and management of the resulting hazards. Analysis and modelling of the initiation and runout dynamics of large coseismic landslides. Formation and failure of landslide dams, dambreak floods and landslide-dam induced aggradation. Physical modelling of geomorphic processes.
- Orchiston C., Mitchell J., Wilson T., Langridge R., Davies T., Bradley B., Johnston D., Davies A., Becker J. and McKay A. (2018) Project AF8: developing a coordinated, multi-agency response plan for a future great Alpine Fault earthquake. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 61(3): 389-402. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2018.1455716.
- Wei R., Zeng Q., Davies T., Yuan G., Wang K., Xue X. and Yin Q. (2018) Geohazard cascade and mechanism of large debris flows in Tianmo gully, SE Tibetan Plateau and implications to hazard monitoring. Engineering Geology 233: 172-182. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.12.013.
- Croissant T., Lague D., Davy P., Davies T. and Steer P. (2017) A precipiton-based approach to model hydro-sedimentary hazards induced by large sediment supplies in alluvial fans. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 42(13): 2054-2067. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.4171.
- Davies TRH. and McSaveney MJ. (2016) Comment on “The Reduction of Friction in Long-Runout Landslides as an Emergent Phenomenon” by Brandon C. Johnson, Charles S. Campbell, and H. Jay Melosh. Journal of Geophysical Research F: Earth Surface 121(10): 1718-1720. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2016JF003954.
- Reznichenko NV., Davies TRH. and Winkler S. (2016) Revised palaeoclimatic significance of Mueller Glacier moraines, Southern Alps, New Zealand. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 41(2): 196-207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.3848.