Qualifications, Memberships & Awards
My research team seeks to understand the role of free radical mediated cellular damage in disease pathogenesis and how antioxidant metabolism modulates these processes. Our work has focused on describing how oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL) triggers macrophage cells death within the artery wall and how the macrophage generated pterins, neopterin and 7,8-dihydroneopterin, modulate both oxLDL formation and cytotoxicity. We specialise in cell culture analysis, HPLC, and general biochemistry analysis using photometric and immune analysis. We also have an active program of biochemical and image analysis of excised atherosclerotic plaques. The image analysis has lead to the development of a multi-energy X-ray machine (MARS-CT) using the X-ray cameras developed for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in CERN Switzerland.
- Bateman CJ., Knight D., Brandwacht B., Mahon JM., Healy J., Panta R., Aamir R., Rajendran K., Moghiseh M. and Ramyar M. (2018) MARS-MD: Rejection based image domain material decomposition. Journal of Instrumentation 13(5) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-0221/13/05/P05020.
- Gieseg SP., Baxter-Parker G. and Lindsay A. (2018) Neopterin, inflammation, and oxidative stress: What could we be missing? Antioxidants 7(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/antiox7070080.
- Marks ECA., Wilkinson TM., Frampton CM., Skelton L., Pilbrow AP., Yandle TG., Pemberton CJ., Doughty RN., Whalley GA. and Ellis CJ. (2018) Plasma levels of soluble VEGF receptor isoforms, circulating pterins and VEGF system SNPs as prognostic biomarkers in patients with acute coronary syndromes. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 18(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12872-018-0894-1.
- Prebble H., Cross S., Marks E., Healy J., Searle E., Aamir R., Butler A., Roake J., Hock B. and Anderson N. (2018) Induced macrophage activation in live excised atherosclerotic plaque. Immunobiology 223(8-9): 526-535. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.imbio.2018.03.002.
- Lindsay A., Carr S., Cross S., Petersen C., Lewis JG. and Gieseg SP. (2017) The physiological response to cold-water immersion following a mixed martial arts training session. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 42(5): 529-536. http://dx.doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2016-0582.