Qualifications & Memberships
My research team seeks to understand the role of free radical mediated cellular damage in disease pathogenesis and how antioxidant metabolism modulates these processes. Our work has focused on describing how oxidized low density lipoprotein (LDL) triggers macrophage cells death within the artery wall and how the macrophage generated pterins, neopterin and 7,8-dihydroneopterin, modulate both oxLDL formation and cytotoxicity. We specialise in cell culture analysis, HPLC, and general biochemistry analysis using photometric and immune analysis. We also have an active program of biochemical and image analysis of excised atherosclerotic plaques. The image analysis has lead to the development of a multi-energy X-ray machine (MARS-CT) using the X-ray cameras developed for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in CERN Switzerland.
- Baxter-Parker G., Chu A., Petocz P., Samman S. and Gieseg SP. (2019) Simultaneous analysis of neopterin, kynurenine and tryptophan by amine-HPLC shows minor oxidative stress from short-term exhaustion exercise. Pteridines 30(1): 21-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/pteridines-2019-0003.
- Baxter-Parker G., Roffe L., Cross S., Frampton C., Hooper GJ. and Gieseg SP. (2019) Knee replacement surgery significantly elevates the urinary inflammatory biomarkers neopterin and 7,8-dihydroneopterin. Clinical Biochemistry 63: 39-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2018.11.002.
- Lindsay A. and Gieseg SP. (2019) Pterins as diagnostic markers of exercise-induced stress: a systematic review. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2019.08.018.
- Lindsay A., Baxter-Parker G. and Gieseg SP. (2019) Pterins as Diagnostic Markers of Mechanical and Impact-Induced Trauma: A Systematic Review.. J Clin Med 8(9) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/jcm8091383.
- Bateman CJ., Knight D., Brandwacht B., Mahon JM., Healy J., Panta R., Aamir R., Rajendran K., Moghiseh M. and Ramyar M. (2018) MARS-MD: Rejection based image domain material decomposition. Journal of Instrumentation 13(5) http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-0221/13/05/P05020.