Research follow three main themes
Volcanism - Volcanic processes, reconstruction of volcanic systems, volcanic stratigraphy, and volcano-tectonic relationships. Focus of doctoral studies and continuuing research on intraplate volcanism of Banks Peninsula.
Volcanic Hazards - effects and mitigation of volcanic ash on infrastructure, housing, and machinery. Research in close association with Thomas Wilson.
Geothermal Energy - within the Geothermal Resource Research Group and Source to Surface Research Programme. Investigating the geological and magmatic controls on geothermal systems in the Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Borella J., Quigley M., Riley M., Trutner S., Jol H., Borella M., Hampton S. and Gravley D. (2020) Influence of anthropogenic landscape modifications and infrastructure on the geological characteristics of liquefaction. Anthropocene 29 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ancene.2020.100235.
- Bertolett EM., Prior DJ., Gravley DM., Hampton SJ. and Kennedy BM. (2019) Compacted cumulates revealed by electron backscatter diffraction analysis of plutonic lithics. Geology 47(5): 445-448. http://dx.doi.org/10.1130/G45616.1.
- Borella J., Quigley M., Krauss Z., Lincoln K., Attanayake J., Stamp L., Lanman H., Levine S., Hampton S. and Gravley D. (2019) Geologic and geomorphic controls on rockfall hazard: How well do past rockfalls predict future distributions? Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 19(10): 2249-2280. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/nhess-19-2249-2019.
- Jolley A., Hampton S., Brogt E., Kennedy B., Fraser L. and Knox A. (2019) Student field experiences: Designing for different instructors and variable weather. Journal of Geography in Higher Education 43(1): 71-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2018.1554632.
- Jolley A., Kennedy B., Brogt E., Hampton S. and Fraser L. (2018) Are were there yet? Sense of place and the student experience on roadside and situated geology field trips. Geosphere 14(2): 651-667. http://dx.doi.org/10.1130/GES01484.1.