Internal Phone: 94382
Research interests include behavioural pharmacology and teratology (anxiolytics, cholinergic agonists and antagonists, NMDA-receptor agonists, xanthines) and comparative psychology (invertebrate behaviour, exploratory and related behaviour).
- Lockington MR. and Hughes RN. (2021) Effects of olanzapine on anxiety-related behaviour in male and female rats assessed after 21-24 and 42-45 days of chronic treatment. Behavioural Pharmacology : 194-211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0000000000000612.
- Dixon EI. and Hughes RN. (2019) Treatment with 1-benzylpiperazine (BZP) during adolescence of male and female hooded rats exposed to environmental enrichment: Subsequent behavioral outcomes. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 73: 32-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2018.12.005.
- Hughes RN. (2019) Sex still matters: Has the prevalence of male-only studies of drug effects on rodent behaviour changed during the past decade? Behavioural Pharmacology 30(1): 95-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0000000000000410.
- Hughes RN. and Hamilton JJ. (2018) Sex-dependent modification by chronic caffeine of acute methamphetamine effects on anxiety-related behavior in rats. Behavioural Brain Research 345: 30-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2018.02.013.
- Aitchison LK. and Hughes RN. (2017) Exposure of adolescent rats to 1-benzylpiperazine or methamphetamine can increase adult anxiety while also (for methamphetamine) possibly improving spatial memory. Hersonissos, Crete: Biennial Meeting of the European Behavioural Pharmacology Society, 31 Aug-3 Sep 2017.