Qualifications & Memberships
Our research interests touch upon all aspects of supramolecular chemistry ranging from organic synthesis and coordination chemistry, through materials and structural chemistry, to host-guest and sensor chemistry. This work is underpinned by structural analysis by single-crystal X-ray diffraction which is complimented by a range of spectroscopic techniques.
Our research into coordination polymers and porous metal-organic frameworks involves transition and lanthanide metal ions and poly-carboxylate-poly-pyridine ligands. We are also interested in the coordination chemistry of clusters as structural and functional bio-models and their potential to behave as single molecule magnets.
Our work in Supramolecular Chemistry ranges from anion coordination chemistry and sensing, involving the development of naked-eye sensors for anions in aqueous media; to the supramolecular coordination chemistry of helical complexes, incorporating metallo- helicate synthesis and anion directed synthesis of helical species. Recent work looks to marry Fe(II)-based spin-crossover (SCO) phenomena into helicate systems in an attempt to form sensor molecules who output derives from SCO associated colour changes.
- Healy C., Hermanspahn L. and Kruger PE. (2021) Photon upconversion in self-assembled materials. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 432 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2020.213756.
- Preston D. and Kruger PE. (2021) Untangling knotty problems. Nature Chemistry 13(2): 114-116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41557-020-00630-w.
- Ako AM., Kathalikkattil AC., Elliott R., Soriano-López J., McKeogh IM., Zubair M., Zhu N., García-Melchor M., Kruger PE. and Schmitt W. (2020) Synthetic Approaches to Metallo-Supramolecular CoIIPolygons and Potential Use for H
2O Oxidation. Inorganic Chemistry 59(19): 14432-14438. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.inorgchem.0c02182.
- Goodwin JW., Kruger PE. and Hawes CS. (2020) Structural and spectroscopic insights on the coordination chemistry of the rigid heterotopic chelating ligand 1H-pyrazolo[4,3-h]quinoline. Journal of Coordination Chemistry 74(1-3): 341-360. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00958972.2020.1868041.
- Healy C., Harvey-Reid NC., Howard BI. and Kruger PE. (2020) Thermal decomposition of hybrid ultramicroporous materials (HUMs). Dalton Transactions 49(47): 17433-17439. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/d0dt03852k.