Qualifications & Memberships
Our research interests touch upon all aspects of supramolecular chemistry ranging from organic synthesis and coordination chemistry, through materials and structural chemistry, to host-guest and sensor chemistry. This work is underpinned by structural analysis by single-crystal X-ray diffraction which is complimented by a range of spectroscopic techniques.
Our research into coordination polymers and porous metal-organic frameworks involves transition and lanthanide metal ions and poly-carboxylate-poly-pyridine ligands. We are also interested in the coordination chemistry of clusters as structural and functional bio-models and their potential to behave as single molecule magnets.
Our work in Supramolecular Chemistry ranges from anion coordination chemistry and sensing, involving the development of naked-eye sensors for anions in aqueous media; to the supramolecular coordination chemistry of helical complexes, incorporating metallo- helicate synthesis and anion directed synthesis of helical species. Recent work looks to marry Fe(II)-based spin-crossover (SCO) phenomena into helicate systems in an attempt to form sensor molecules who output derives from SCO associated colour changes.
- Aletti AB., Blasco S., Aramballi SJ., Kruger PE. and Gunnlaugsson T. (2019) Sulfate-Templated 2D Anion-Layered Supramolecular Self-Assemblies. Chem http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2019.06.023.
- Archer RJ., Scott HS., Polson MIJ., Mathonière C., Rouzières M., Clérac R. and Kruger PE. (2019) Solvent Dependent Spin-Crossover and Photomagnetic Properties in an Imidazolylimine FeII Complex. Chemistry - An Asian Journal 14(13): 2225-2229. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asia.201900522.
- Butler PWV., Kruger PE. and Ward JS. (2019) Self-assembly of M
4L 4tetrahedral cages incorporating pendant PS and PSe functionalised ligands. Chemical Communications 55(69): 10304-10307. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c9cc05443j.
- Guo F., Yang H., Liu L., Han Y., Al-Enizi AM., Nafady A., Kruger PE., Telfer SG. and Ma S. (2019) Hollow capsules of doped carbon incorporating metal@metal sulfide and metal@metal oxide core-shell nanoparticles derived from metal-organic framework composites for efficient oxygen electrocatalysis. Journal of Materials Chemistry A 7(8): 3624-3631. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8ta11213d.
- Mukherjee S., Sikdar N., O’Nolan D., Franz DM., Gascón V., Kumar A., Kumar N., Scott HS., Madden DG. and Kruger PE. (2019) Trace CO
2capture by an ultramicroporous physisorbent with low water affinity. Science Advances 5(11) http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aax9171.