Qualifications & Memberships
Our research interests touch upon all aspects of supramolecular chemistry ranging from organic synthesis and coordination chemistry, through materials and structural chemistry, to host-guest and sensor chemistry. This work is underpinned by structural analysis by single-crystal X-ray diffraction which is complimented by a range of spectroscopic techniques.
Our research into coordination polymers and porous metal-organic frameworks involves transition and lanthanide metal ions and poly-carboxylate-poly-pyridine ligands. We are also interested in the coordination chemistry of clusters as structural and functional bio-models and their potential to behave as single molecule magnets.
Our work in Supramolecular Chemistry ranges from anion coordination chemistry and sensing, involving the development of naked-eye sensors for anions in aqueous media; to the supramolecular coordination chemistry of helical complexes, incorporating metallo- helicate synthesis and anion directed synthesis of helical species. Recent work looks to marry Fe(II)-based spin-crossover (SCO) phenomena into helicate systems in an attempt to form sensor molecules who output derives from SCO associated colour changes.
- Archer RJ., Scott HS., Polson MIJ., Mathonière C., Rouzières M., Clérac R. and Kruger PE. (2019) Solvent Dependent Spin-Crossover and Photomagnetic Properties in an Imidazolylimine FeII Complex. Chemistry - An Asian Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asia.201900522.
- Guo F., Yang H., Liu L., Han Y., Al-Enizi AM., Nafady A., Kruger PE., Telfer SG. and Ma S. (2019) Hollow capsules of doped carbon incorporating metal@metal sulfide and metal@metal oxide core-shell nanoparticles derived from metal-organic framework composites for efficient oxygen electrocatalysis. Journal of Materials Chemistry A 7(8): 3624-3631. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8ta11213d.
- Preston D. and Kruger PE. (2019) Reversible Transformation between a [PdL
2] 2+ “Figure-of-Eight” Complex and a [Pd 2L 2] 4+ Dimer: Switching On and Off Self-Recognition. Chemistry - A European Journal 25(7): 1781-1786. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201805172.
- Yang H., Chen X., Chen W-T., Wang Q., Cuello NC., Nafady A., Al-Enizi AM., Waterhouse GIN., Goenaga GA. and Zawodzinski TA. (2019) Tunable Synthesis of Hollow Metal-Nitrogen-Carbon Capsules for Efficient Oxygen Reduction Catalysis in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells.. ACS Nano http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.9b02930.
- Archer RJ., Scott HS., Polson MIJ., Williamson BE., Mathonière C., Rouzières M., Clérac R. and Kruger PE. (2018) Varied spin crossover behaviour in a family of dinuclear Fe(ii) triple helicate complexes. Dalton Transactions 47(24): 7965-7974. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8dt01567h.