Qualifications & Memberships
Our research interests touch upon all aspects of supramolecular chemistry ranging from organic synthesis and coordination chemistry, through materials and structural chemistry, to host-guest and sensor chemistry. This work is underpinned by structural analysis by single-crystal X-ray diffraction which is complimented by a range of spectroscopic techniques.
Our research into coordination polymers and porous metal-organic frameworks involves transition and lanthanide metal ions and poly-carboxylate-poly-pyridine ligands. We are also interested in the coordination chemistry of clusters as structural and functional bio-models and their potential to behave as single molecule magnets.
Our work in Supramolecular Chemistry ranges from anion coordination chemistry and sensing, involving the development of naked-eye sensors for anions in aqueous media; to the supramolecular coordination chemistry of helical complexes, incorporating metallo- helicate synthesis and anion directed synthesis of helical species. Recent work looks to marry Fe(II)-based spin-crossover (SCO) phenomena into helicate systems in an attempt to form sensor molecules who output derives from SCO associated colour changes.
- Healy C., Hermanspahn L. and Kruger PE. (2021) Photon upconversion in self-assembled materials. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 432 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2020.213756.
- Kumar N., Mukherjee S., Harvey-Reid NC., Bezrukov AA., Tan K., Martins V., Vandichel M., Pham T., van Wyk LM. and Oyekan K. (2021) Breaking the trade-off between selectivity and adsorption capacity for gas separation. Chem 7(11): 3085-3098. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chempr.2021.07.007.
- Preston D. and Kruger PE. (2021) Untangling knotty problems. Nature Chemistry 13(2): 114-116. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41557-020-00630-w.
- Wilson BH., Ward JS., Young DC., Liu JL., Mathonière C., Clérac R. and Kruger PE. (2021) Self-Assembly Synthesis of a Catenane CoII Single-Molecule Magnet. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.202113837.
- Yang H., Liu X., Hao M., Xie Y., Wang X., Tian H., Waterhouse GIN., Kruger PE., Telfer SG. and Ma S. (2021) Functionalized Iron–Nitrogen–Carbon Electrocatalyst Provides a Reversible Electron Transfer Platform for Efficient Uranium Extraction from Seawater. Advanced Materials 33(51) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.202106621.