Associate ProfessorPaul Gardner
Qualifications & Memberships
My personal research goal is the complete functional classification of all functional RNAs. It is well established that RNAs such as tRNA and rRNA play a vital role in translation. The further discovery of more RNAs that build the translational machinery, such as snoRNAs, RNaseP and MRP along with spliceosomal RNAs, was not too great a shock. What has come as a surprise to RNA researchers in recent years is the importance of RNA in other areas such as regulation. Newly discovered RNAs and RNA-related processes involving regulation include: RNA interference (RNAi), microRNAs, siRNAs, riboswitches, thermosensors, bacterial antisense sRNAs, leader elements, IRES's and frame-shift elements. Further discoveries have shown that RNA is important for defending genomes from invasive elements such as transposons and bacteriophages, for de-activating entire chromosomes, and are essential for DNA replication. Furthermore, the discovery of RNA enzymes, or ribozymes, has lead to the suggestion that early life's genetic and numerous metabolic processes were RNA-based. Yet many groups are discovering thousands of RNAs with no known function. Clearly we are just beginning to appreciate the number of central roles that RNA mediated processes play in biology. What further unrealised roles does this "dark matter" of the cell play?
- Gardner PP., Watson RJ., Morgan XC., Draper JL., Finn RD., Morales SE. and Stott MB. (2019) Identifying accurate metagenome and amplicon software via a meta-analysis of sequence to taxonomy benchmarking studies.. PeerJ 7: e6160. http://dx.doi.org/10.7717/peerj.6160.
- Wheeler NE., Blackmore T., Reynolds AD., Midwinter AC., Marshall J., French NP., Savoian MS., Gardner PP. and Biggs PJ. (2019) Genomic correlates of extraintestinal infection are linked with changes in cell morphology in Campylobacter jejuni.. Microb Genom 5(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/mgen.0.000251.
- Coray D., Sibaeva N., McGimpsey S. and Gardner P. (2018) Evolutionary, structural and functional explorations of non-coding RNA and protein genetic robustness. http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/480087.
- Dickie IA., Boyer S., Buckley HL., Duncan RP., Gardner PP., Hogg ID., Holdaway RJ., Lear G., Makiola A. and Morales SE. (2018) Towards robust and repeatable sampling methods in eDNA-based studies.. Mol Ecol Resour http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1755-0998.12907.
- Hoeppner MP., Denisenko E., Gardner PP., Schmeier S. and Poole AM. (2018) An Evaluation of Function of Multicopy Noncoding RNAs in Mammals Using ENCODE/FANTOM Data and Comparative Genomics. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND EVOLUTION 35(6): 1451-1462. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/molbey/msy046.