Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include:
- New Ionic Liquids and their applications. We prepared the first examples of ionic liquids using triaminocyclopropenium salts. Have ongoing collaborative projects on lubricants, cellulose dissolution, carbon dioxide gas separation, zeolite synthesis, and battery electrode development.
- Polyhalides. We have prepared the first non-classical ternary polyhalides, such as [I2Br2Cl4]2–.
- Chloride hydrates. We have isolated the first discrete example of Cl(H2O)– as well as a number of discrete multi-chloride hydrates for the first time.
- Organometallic chemistry. Particular interests in metallocene complexes.
I also have interests in the teaching of Lewis Structures (see: https://owencurnow.wixsite.com/lewis-structures), hypervalent molecules and point group symmetry.
- Akhil S., Curnow OJ., Walst KJ., Wang R. and Yunis R. (2022) Anion Effects on Thermophysical and Thermochemical Properties of Triaminocyclopropenium-Based Ionic Liquids. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jced.2c00474.
- Curnow OJ. and Crittenden DL. (2022) Structures and Spectra of Halide Hydrate Clusters in the Solid State: A Link between the Gas Phase and Solution State. ChemPlusChem 87(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cplu.202100535.
- Curnow OJ. and Senthooran R. (2022) Highly-fluorinated Triaminocyclopropenium Ionic Liquids. Chemistry - An Asian Journal 17(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asia.202200139.
- Li X., Curnow O., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2022) Recent advances in the imidazolium-based ionic liquid-templated synthesis of microporous zeolites. Materials Today Chemistry 26 101133 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mtchem.2022.101133.
- Baranov A., Sommerhoff F., Duchemin B., Curnow O. and Staiger MP. (2021) Toward a facile fabrication route for all-cellulose composite laminates via partial dissolution in aqueous tetrabutylphosphonium hydroxide solution. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 140 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2020.106148.