Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include:
- New Ionic Liquids
- Cyclopentadienyl ligands containing tethered phosphine functionalities:
Cyclopentadienyl and phosphine ligands are two of the most important classes of ligands in organometallic chemistry. My research aims to link these ligand classes together to provide novel, and potentially useful, polydentate ligands.
- Indenylphosphine ligands:
Investigations using mono-, di-, and tri-indenylphosphine ligands are being carried out in which both the indenyl and phosphine groups are coordinated to metal centres.
- Ethylene-bridged cyclopentadienyl- and indenyl-phosphine ligands:
Ring-opening reactions of spirocyclic heptadienes using phosphide reagents leads to ethylene-bridged cyclopentadienyl- and indenyl-phosphine ligands. The coordination chemistry of these new ligands is being investigated.
- Conformationally-constrained arene ligands:
The stabilisation of arene complexes by tethering to a strongly coordinating ligand in a highly-constrained fashion is being investigated.
I have extended the 3-centre 4-electron (3c-4e) bonding ideas of Rundle and Pimentel to include 4c-6e, 5c-8e, and 6c-10e bonding concepts. These bonding schemes result in formal bond orders of less than one which leads to a description of such molecules as "hypobound".
- Abdelbassit MS. and Curnow OJ. (2019) Construction of Ternary Iodine-Bromine-Chlorine Octahalides.. Chemistry http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201903913.
- Abdelbassit MS., Curnow OJ., Dixon MK. and Waterland MR. (2019) Rational Synthesis, Structures and Properties of the Ionic Liquid Binary Iodine-Bromine Octahalide Series [I
nBr 8−n]2− (n=0, 2, 3, 4). Chemistry - A European Journal 25(50): 11659-11669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201902134.
- Abdelbassit MS., Curnow OJ., Dixon MK. and Waterland MR. (2019) The Binary Iodine-Chlorine Octahalide Series [I
nCl 8−n]2− (n=3, 3.6, 4). Chemistry - A European Journal 25(50): 11650-11658. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201902135.
- Curnow OJ., MacFarlane DR. and Walst KJ. (2018) Fluoride ionic liquids in salts of ethylmethylimidazolium and substituted cyclopropenium cation families. Frontiers in Chemistry 6(DEC) http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fchem.2018.00603.
- Curnow OJ., Polson MIJ., Walst KJ. and Yunis R. (2018) Synthesis and physical properties of tris(dialkylamino)cyclopropenium dicyanamide ionic liquids. RSC Advances 8(50): 28313-28322. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8ra05558k.