Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include:
- New Ionic Liquids and their applications. We prepared the first examples of ionic liquids using triaminocyclopropenium salts. Have ongoing collaborative projects on lubricants, cellulose dissolution, carbon dioxide gas separation, zeolite synthesis, and battery electrode development.
- Polyhalides. We have prepared the first non-classical ternary polyhalides, such as [I2Br2Cl4]2–.
- Chloride hydrates. We have isolated the first discrete example of Cl(H2O)– as well as a number of discrete multi-chloride hydrates for the first time.
- Organometallic chemistry. Particular interests in metallocene complexes.
I also have interests in the teaching of Lewis Structures (see: https://owencurnow.wixsite.com/lewis-structures), hypervalent molecules and point group symmetry.
- Baranov A., Sommerhoff F., Duchemin B., Curnow O. and Staiger MP. (2021) Toward a facile fabrication route for all-cellulose composite laminates via partial dissolution in aqueous tetrabutylphosphonium hydroxide solution. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 140 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2020.106148.
- Curnow OJ. (2021) Facile Method for Constructing Lewis (Electron Dot) Structures. Journal of Chemical Education 98(4): 1454-1457. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c00952.
- Curnow OJ. and Crittenden DL. (2021) Are "bright-state" models appropriate for analyzing fermi-coupled bands in molecular vibrational spectra? Journal of Physical Chemistry A 125(6): 1355-1358. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpca.0c10404.
- Li X., Li TH., Zhou W., Li YP., Sit PHL., Wu Z., Curnow OJ., Wu KCW., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2021) Unveiling the elusive role of tetraethyl orthosilicate hydrolysis in ionic-liquid-templated zeolite synthesis. Materials Today Chemistry 23 100658 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mtchem.2021.100658.
- Li X., Tsai ST., Wu KCW., Curnow OJ., Choi J. and Yip ACK. (2021) Morphology control of ionic-liquid-templated ZSM-22 and ZSM-5 zeolites using a two-step process and its effect on toluene methylation. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials 328 111475 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2021.111475.