Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests are in the conceptual, applied and experimental analysis of behaviour, with the emphasis currently on conceptual and applied aspects. Conceptual work has focussed on two long-term projects. One project has involved developing a bio-behavioural model of the processes which engender, maintain and reverse infant sleep disturbance. The second project has been to view the current widespread criticism of null-hypothesis statistical tests and other standard research practices from the perspective of single-case research design. Applied research has a wider focus, and includes behavioural interventions for infant sleep disturbances, behavioural family therapies, special education interventions, and various projects in Health Psychology, including a specific interest in safety, especially road safety.
- McLay L., France K., Blampied N., van Deurs J., Hunter J., Knight J., Hastie B., Carnett A., Woodford E. and Gibbs R. (2021) Function-Based Behavioral Interventions for Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents with Autism: Summary of 41 Clinical Cases. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 51(2): 418-432. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04548-7.
- Taylor T., Blampied N. and Roglić N. (2021) Controlled case series demonstrates how parents can be trained to treat paediatric feeding disorders at home. Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics 110(1): 149-157. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/apa.15372.
- Blampied NM., Mulder RT., Usman Afzali M., Bhattacharya O., Blampied M. and Rucklidge JJ. (2020) Disasters, policies and micronutrients: The intersect among ethics, evidence and effective action. New Zealand Medical Journal 133(1508): 8-11.
- Martin RA., Taylor WJ., Surgenor LJ., Graham FP., Levack WMM. and Blampied NM. (2020) Evaluating the effectiveness of therapeutic horse riding for children and young people experiencing disability: a single-case experimental design study. Disability and Rehabilitation 42(26): 3734-3743. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2019.1610083.
- McLay L., Hansen SG., Carnett A., France KG. and Blampied NM. (2020) Attributions, causal beliefs, and help-seeking behavior of parents of children with autism spectrum disorder and sleep problems. Autism 24(7): 1829-1840. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1362361320924216.