Electronic structure and optical properties of lanthanide (rare-earth) materials.
Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are the electronic structure and transition intensities of visible and UV transitions within 4fN configurations and between the 4fN and 4fN-1 5d configurations of lanthanide (rare-earth) ions in various compounds. These materials have complex spectra with sharp lines and so an extremely detailed comparison between theory and experiment is possible.
In addition to their intrinsic scientific interest, lanthanide compounds have technological applications, being widely used in fluorescent lamp and TV phosphors, laser materials, and fibre-optical amplifiers.
Recent research has focused on the dynamical properties of excited states of lanthanide ions, probed by laser and x-ray techniques. We have also developed techniques to relate ab-initio calculations to spectroscopiec energy-level models.
Our current focus is on the understanding of materials that have potential for quantum-information applications, and on nanoparticles for biomedical imaging.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells JPR. (2021) Influence of the synthesis method on preferential clustering of Yb3+ in CaF
2:Yb3+/Er3+ upconverting nanoparticles. Optical Materials 112 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2020.110736.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells JPR. (2020) A comparison of the Yb3+ absorption and upconversion excitation spectra for both the cubic and hexagonal phases of NaYF
4:Yb3+/Er3+ nanoparticles. Optical Materials 107 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2020.110050.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells J-PR. (2020) Absorption Spectra, Defect Site Distribution and Upconversion Excitation Spectra of CaF2/SrF2/BaF2:Yb3+:Er3+ Nanoparticles. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 834 155165 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2020.155165.
- Hughes-Currie RB., Ivanovskikh KV., Wells JPR., Reid MF. and Meijerink A. (2020) Intrinsic electronic excitations and impurity luminescent centres in NaMgF
3and MgF 2doped with Yb2+. Optical Materials 99 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2019.109553.
- Jobbitt NL., Wells JPR. and Reid MF. (2020) Energy transfer between Sm3+ ions in Y
2SiO 5crystals. Journal of Luminescence 224 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2020.117302.