Electronic structure and optical properties of lanthanide (rare-earth) materials.
Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are the electronic structure and transition intensities of visible and UV transitions within 4fN configurations and between the 4fN and 4fN-1 5d configurations of lanthanide (rare-earth) ions in various compounds. These materials have complex spectra with sharp lines and so an extremely detailed comparison between theory and experiment is possible.
In addition to their intrinsic scientific interest, lanthanide compounds have technological applications, being widely used in fluorescent lamp and TV phosphors, laser materials, and fibre-optical amplifiers.
Recent research has focused on the dynamical properties of excited states of lanthanide ions, probed by laser and x-ray techniques. We have also developed techniques to relate ab-initio calculations to spectroscopiec energy-level models.
Our current focus is on the understanding of materials that have potential for quantum-information applications, and on nanoparticles for biomedical imaging.
- Balabhadra S., Reid M., Golovko V. and Wells J-P. (2019) The Importance of Fluorescence-Detected Absorption as a Diagnostic Tool for Upconverting Nanoparticles Doped with Lanthanide Ions. https://arxiv.org/abs/1909.02645.
- Horvath S., Rakonjac JV., Chen Y-H., Longdell JJ., Goldner P., Wells J-P. and Reid MF. (2019) Extending Phenomenological Crystal-Field Methods to C1 Point-Group Symmetry: Characterization of the Optically Excited Hyperfine Structure of 167Er3+:Y2SiO5. Physical Review Letters 123(5) 057401: 6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.123.057401.
- Jobbitt NL., Patchett SJ., Alizadeh Y., Reid MF., Wells J-PR., Horvath S., Longdell JJ., Ferrier A. and Goldner P. (2019) Transferability of Crystal-Field Parameters for Rare-Earth Ions in Y₂SiO₅Tested by Zeeman Spectroscopy. Physics of the Solid State 61(5): 780-784. http://dx.doi.org/10.1134/s1063783419050123.
- Horvath SP., Wells J-PR., Reid MF., Yamaga M. and Honda M. (2018) Electron paramagnetic resonance enhanced crystal field analysis for low point-group symmetry systems: C₂v sites in Sm³⁺:CaF₂/SrF₂. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 31(1) 015501: 11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-648X/aaee5c.
- Horvath SP., Wells JPR., van der Meer AFG. and Reid MF. (2017) An infrared pump-probe measurement of the Sm3+ 6H7/2 lifetime in LiYF4. Optical Materials 66: 8-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2017.01.026.