Electronic structure and optical properties of lanthanide (rare-earth) materials.
Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are the electronic structure and transition intensities of visible and UV transitions within 4fN configurations and between the 4fN and 4fN-1 5d configurations of lanthanide (rare-earth) ions in various compounds. These materials have complex spectra with sharp lines and so an extremely detailed comparison between theory and experiment is possible.
In addition to their intrinsic scientific interest, lanthanide compounds have technological applications, being widely used in fluorescent lamp and TV phosphors, laser materials, and fibre-optical amplifiers.
Recent research has focused on the dynamical properties of excited states of lanthanide ions, probed by laser and x-ray techniques. We have also developed techniques to relate ab-initio calculations to spectroscopiec energy-level models.
Our current focus is on the understanding of materials that have potential for quantum-information applications, and on nanoparticles for biomedical imaging.
- Alizadeh Y., Wells JPR., Reid MF., Ferrier A. and Goldner P. (2021) Laser site-selective spectroscopy of Nd3+-doped Y
2SiO 5. Journal of Luminescence 234 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2021.117959.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells JPR. (2021) Influence of the synthesis method on preferential clustering of Yb3+ in CaF
2:Yb3+/Er3+ upconverting nanoparticles. Optical Materials 112 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2020.110736.
- Martin JLB., Solanki PS., Balabhadra S., Alizadeh Y., Reid MF. and Wells JPR. (2021) Zeeman infrared absorption of KY
3F 10nano-crystals co-doped with Yb3+ and Er3+: Experiment and analysis. Journal of Luminescence 233 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2021.117923.
- Mothkuri S., Reid MF., Wells J-PR., Lafitte-Houssat E., Goldner P. and Ferrier A. (2021) Electron-nuclear interactions as a test of crystal field parameters for low-symmetry systems: Zeeman hyperfine spectroscopy of Ho3+ -doped Y2SiO5. Physical Review B 103(10) 104109 http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/physrevb.103.104109.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells JPR. (2020) A comparison of the Yb3+ absorption and upconversion excitation spectra for both the cubic and hexagonal phases of NaYF
4:Yb3+/Er3+ nanoparticles. Optical Materials 107 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2020.110050.