Electronic structure and optical properties of lanthanide (rare-earth) materials.
Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are the electronic structure and transition intensities of visible and UV transitions within 4fN configurations and between the 4fN and 4fN-1 5d configurations of lanthanide (rare-earth) ions in various compounds. These materials have complex spectra with sharp lines and so an extremely detailed comparison between theory and experiment is possible.
In addition to their intrinsic scientific interest, lanthanide compounds have technological applications, being widely used in fluorescent lamp and TV phosphors, laser materials, and fibre-optical amplifiers.
Recent research has focused on the dynamical properties of excited states of lanthanide ions, probed by laser and x-ray techniques. We have also developed techniques to relate ab-initio calculations to spectroscopiec energy-level models.
Our current focus is on the understanding of materials that have potential for quantum-information applications, and on nanoparticles for biomedical imaging.
- Alizadeh Y., Martin JLB., Reid MF. and Wells JPR. (2021) Intra- and inter-configurational electronic transitions of Ce3+-doped Y
2SiO 5: Spectroscopy and crystal field analysis. Optical Materials 117 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2021.111114.
- Alizadeh Y., Wells JPR., Reid MF., Ferrier A. and Goldner P. (2021) Laser site-selective spectroscopy of Nd3+-doped Y
2SiO 5. Journal of Luminescence 234 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2021.117959.
- Balabhadra S., Reid MF., Golovko V. and Wells JPR. (2021) Influence of the synthesis method on preferential clustering of Yb3+ in CaF
2:Yb3+/Er3+ upconverting nanoparticles. Optical Materials 112 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2020.110736.
- Jobbitt NL., Wells JPR., Reid MF. and Longdell JJ. (2021) Raman heterodyne determination of the magnetic anisotropy for the ground and optically excited states of Y2SiO5 doped with Sm3+. Physical Review B 103(20) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.103.205114.
- Martin JLB., Solanki PS., Balabhadra S., Alizadeh Y., Reid MF. and Wells JPR. (2021) Zeeman infrared absorption of KY
3F 10nano-crystals co-doped with Yb3+ and Er3+: Experiment and analysis. Journal of Luminescence 233 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2021.117923.