Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are to combine GIS and new technologies applied to health-related issues.
Currently, I'm managing the GeoHealth Laboratory work programme, where we apply geospatial tools and methods to public health topics, such as immunisation, childhood obesity, maternity, long-term health conditions using the IDI, avoidable hospitalisations and active transport to schools. The research projects are developed in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
Another project uses the application of virtual reality (VR) around the areas of smoking and vaping / e-cigarettes. I'm interested to collect new informative data and use this information towards the development of personalised health support and services.
With an increase of elderly people in future, I'm also interested in their health and well-being. I'm involved in a project that looks at outdoor falls, where my particular interest is in the built environment for prevention, as well as smart technologies to support the elderly.
In the past, I focused a lot on spatial simulation and modelling (e.g. microsimulation and agent-based modelling), mainly applied to public health issues such as smoking and antenatal care. My interest was also on geospatial visualisation and web mapping tools.
- Hobbs M., Tomintz M., McCarthy J., Marek L., Vannier C., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2019) Obesity risk in women of childbearing age in New Zealand: a nationally representative cross-sectional study. International Journal of Public Health 64(4): 625-635. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00038-019-01239-8.
- Tomintz MN. and Barnett R. (2018) Geosimulation approach for filling the gap of non-response smoking data from the census 2013: A spatial analysis of census area unit geographies. New Zealand Geographer 74(3): 152-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12199.
- Tomintz MN., Kosar B. and García-Barrios VM. (2017) simSALUD – design and implementation of an open source and wizard based spatial microsimulation framework. The International Journal of Microsimulation 10(2): 118-143.
- Tomintz M., Kosar B. and Clarke G. (2016) smokeSALUD: exploring the effect of demographic change on the smoking prevalence at municipality level in Austria. International Journal of Health Geographics 15(1): 14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12942-016-0066-4.
- Zmölnig J., Tomintz MN. and Clarke GP. (2016) Mapping the distribution of diabetes for public health support in Austria. gis.Science - Die Zeitschrift für Geoinformatik 3(2016): 86-97.