Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are to combine GIS and new technologies applied to health-related issues.
Currently, I'm managing the GeoHealth Laboratory work programme, where we apply geospatial tools and methods to public health topics, such as immunisation, childhood obesity, maternity, long-term health conditions using the IDI, avoidable hospitalisations and active transport to schools. The research projects are developed in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
Another project uses the application of virtual reality (VR) around the areas of smoking and vaping / e-cigarettes. I'm interested to collect new informative data and use this information towards the development of personalised health support and services.
With an increase of elderly people in future, I'm also interested in their health and well-being. I'm involved in a project that looks at outdoor falls, where my particular interest is in the built environment for prevention, as well as smart technologies to support the elderly.
In the past, I focused a lot on spatial simulation and modelling (e.g. microsimulation and agent-based modelling), mainly applied to public health issues such as smoking and antenatal care. My interest was also on geospatial visualisation and web mapping tools.
- Curl A., Fitt H. and Tomintz M. (2020) Experiences of the Built Environment, Falls and Fear of Falling Outdoors among Older Adults: An Exploratory Study and Future Directions. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 17(4): 1224-1224. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17041224.
- Hobbs M., Marek L., Clarke R., McCarthy J., Tomintz M., Wade A., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Investigating the prevalence of non-fluoride toothpaste use in adults and children using nationally representative data from New Zealand: a cross-sectional study. British Dental Journal 228(4): 269-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41415-020-1304-5.
- Hobbs M., Wade A., Jones P., Marek L., Tomintz M., Sharma K., McCarthy J., Mattingley B., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Area-level deprivation, childhood dental ambulatory sensitive hospitalizations and community water fluoridation: evidence from New Zealand. International journal of epidemiology 49(3): 908-916. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyaa043.
- Marek L., Hobbs M., McCarthy J., Wiki J., Tomintz M., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Investigating spatial variation and change (2006–2017) in childhood immunisation coverage in New Zealand. Social Science & Medicine 113292: 113292-113292. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2020.113292.
- Marek L., Wiki J., Campbell M., Kingham S., Sabel C., Tomintz M. and Hobbs M. (2020) Slipping under the radar: worsened health outcomes in semi-urban areas of New Zealand. New Zealand Medical Journal 133 1519: 121-125.