I am a regional scientist and a health geographer.
Qualifications & Memberships
Dr. Campbell focuses on Quantitative Human Geography. He is both a regional scientist and a health geographer.
Dr Campbell has an established research theme on regional science (funded through NSC11: Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities) with research on Airbnb and Regional Development.
In addition, Dr. Campbell has a research theme with ongoing projects in mGeoHealth and Health Geography as well as being a Deputy Director of the GeoHealth Laboratory at UC.
Malcolm is working on a series of projects which attempt to examine and understand social and spatial inequalities in different contexts. He also has an interest in developing and applying novel methods to geographical problems.
Some current examples of his research include:
Airbnb: disrupting the regional housing market in NZ.
Regional development: Supporting success in regional settlements
mGeoHealth: using smartphone location data to better understand health and health outcomes.
Social Atlas project: examining social and spatial inequalities in New Zealand.
- Campbell M., McNair H., Mackay M. and Perkins HC. (2019) Disrupting the regional housing market: Airbnb in New Zealand. Regional Studies, Regional Science 6(1): 139-142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21681376.2019.1588156.
- Hobbs M., Ahuriri-Driscoll A., Marek L., Campbell M., Tomintz M. and Kingham S. (2019) Reducing health inequity for Māori people in New Zealand. The Lancet 394(10209): 1613-1614. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30044-3.
- Hobbs M., Tomintz M., McCarthy J., Marek L., Vannier C., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2019) Obesity risk in women of childbearing age in New Zealand: a nationally representative cross-sectional study. International Journal of Public Health 64(4): 625-635. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00038-019-01239-8.
- Perkins HC., Mackay M., Levy D., Campbell M., Taylor N., Hills R. and Johnston K. (2019) Revealing regional regeneration projects in three small towns in Aotearoa—New Zealand. New Zealand Geographer nzg.12239 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12239.
- Wiki J., Kingham S. and Campbell M. (2019) Accessibility to food retailers and socio-economic deprivation in urban New Zealand. New Zealand Geographer 75(1): 3-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12201.