I'm a Human Geographer focused on quantitative health and medical geography (spatial epidemiology) as well as regional science / regional analytics.
Qualifications & Memberships
Dr Campbell is a Quantitative Human Geography, with expertise in health and medical geography (spatial epidemiology) as well as regional science/regional analytics.
Dr Campbell has an established research theme on regional analytics (mainly funded through NSC11: Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities and other smart city grants) with research primarily on Regional Development and Tourism (Airbnb) as well as Regional Mobility and population change. He is the founder of the Regional Analytics Lab.
In addition, Dr. Campbell has a research theme with ongoing projects in mGeoHealth and Health Geography as well as being a Deputy Director of the GeoHealth Laboratory at UC.
Malcolm is working on a series of projects which attempt to examine and understand social and spatial inequalities in different contexts. He also has an interest in developing and applying novel methods to geographical problems.
Some current examples of his research include:
Airbnb: disrupting the regional housing market in NZ.
Regional development: Supporting success in regional settlements
mGeoHealth: using smartphone location data to better understand health and health outcomes.
Social Atlas project: examining social and spatial inequalities in New Zealand.
Spatial Microsimulation of Health and Economic Policy: developing spatial microsimulation models to understand health and economic variables and develop 'what-if' policy scenarios.
- Hobbs M., Stewart T., Marek L., Duncan S., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2022) Health-promoting and health-constraining environmental features and physical activity and sedentary behaviour in adolescence: a geospatial cross-sectional study. Health and Place 77 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2022.102887.
- Campbell M. (2021) Pandemics and emergent digital inequalities. New Zealand Geographer 77(3): 180-184. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12316.
- Campbell M., Marek L. and Hobbs M. (2021) Reconsidering movement and exposure: Towards a more dynamic health geography. Geography Compass 15(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gec3.12566.
- Campbell M., Marek L., Wiki J., Hobbs M., Sabel CE., McCarthy J. and Kingham S. (2021) National movement patterns during the COVID-19 pandemic in New Zealand: The unexplored role of neighbourhood deprivation. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 75(9): 903-905. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2020-216108.
- Campbell M., Perkins H., Mackay M. and Taylor N. (2021) Accomodation-sharing platforms and small towns in the Covid-19 era. Lincoln Planning Review, 11(1-2) (2021) 84-89 11(1-2): 84-89.