I am a health geographer and a regional scientist.
Qualifications & Memberships
Dr. Campbell focuses on Quantitative Geography. He is both a health geographer and a regional scientist.
Dr Campbell has an established research theme on regional science (funded through NSC11: Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities) with research on Airbnb and Regional Development.
In addition, Dr Campbell has a research theme with ongoing projects in mGeoHealth and Health Geography as well as being a Deputy Director of the GeoHealth Laboratory at UC.
Malcolm is working on a series of projects which attempt to examine and understand social and spatial inequalities in different contexts. He also has an interest in developing and applying novel methods to geographical problems.
Some current examples of his research include:
Airbnb: disrupting the regional housing market in NZ.
Regional development: Supporting success in regional settlements
mGeoHealth: using smartphone location data to better understand health and health outcomes.
Social Atlas project: examining social and spatial inequalities in New Zealand.
- Campbell M., McNair H., Mackay M. and Perkins HC. (2019) Disrupting the regional housing market: Airbnb in New Zealand. Regional Studies, Regional Science 6(1): 139-142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21681376.2019.1588156.
- Hobbs M., Tomintz M., McCarthy J., Marek L., Vannier C., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2019) Obesity risk in women of childbearing age in New Zealand: a nationally representative cross-sectional study. International Journal of Public Health http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00038-019-01239-8.
- Wiki J., Kingham S. and Campbell M. (2019) Accessibility to food retailers and socio-economic deprivation in urban New Zealand. New Zealand Geographer 75(1): 3-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12201.
- Marek L., Campbell M., Epton M., Kingham S. and Storer M. (2018) Winter Is Coming: A Socio-Environmental Monitoring and Spatiotemporal Modelling Approach for Better Understanding a Respiratory Disease. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information 7(11) 432: 26. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijgi7110432.
- Marek L., Campbell M. and Bui L. (2017) Shaking for innovation: The (re)building of a (smart) city in a post disaster environment. CITIES 63: 41-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2016.12.013.