Qualifications & Memberships
He uri ahau nō Ngāti Mutunga o Wharekauri, Te Atiawa, Ngai Tohora me Rapuwai. I'm passionate about working with tangata whenua & local communities towards their aspirations around disaster risk reduction and climate change resilience. The interdisciplinary teams and whānau I am a part of work on the interface of Mātauranga and risk science to connect people and diverse knowledges to best navigate and then co-create co-imagined realities. My unique contribution to these teams is knowledge/skills/experience in community-based participatory risk assessments, risk communication, disaster risk reduction, kaupapa Māori research and the ability to translate across these contexts.
- Lane EM., Thomas KL., King DN., Williams S., Borrero J., Power W. and Gusman A. (2021) Five years after the 14 November 2016 Kaikōura Tsunami in Aotearoa-New Zealand: insights from recent research. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2021.1951307.
- Lane EM., Thomas KL., Schoenfeld MR., Wilson TM. and Hughes MW. (2020) The scientific response to the 14 November 2016 Kaikōura tsunami – Lessons learnt from a moderate event. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 47 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101636.
- Thomas KL., Kaiser L., Campbell E., Johnston D., Campbell H., Solomon R., Jack H., Borrero J. and Northern A. (2020) Disaster memorial events for increasing awareness and preparedness: 150 years since the Arica tsunami in Aotearoa-New Zealand. Australian Journal of Emergency Management 35(3): 71-78.
- Williams S., Zhang T., Chagué C., Williams J., Goff J., Lane EM., Bind J., Qasim I., Thomas KL. and Mueller C. (2018) Sedimentary and geochemical signature of the 2016 Kaikōura Tsunami at Little Pigeon Bay: A depositional benchmark for the Banks Peninsula region, New Zealand. Sedimentary Geology 369: 60-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2018.03.013.
- Potter S., Harrison S., Thomas K-L., Leonard G., Skilton J., Apiti M., Balfour N., Harvey S., Coomer M. and Kilgour G. (2020) Connecting real-time hazard and impact data with users: proof of concept of a visualisation tool. In Connecting real-time hazard and impact data with users:proof of concept of a visualisation tool, GNS Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.21420/ZJJG-9C59.