Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests converge around the home, everyday life, and the body as sites of social change. My empirical work is based in multi-ethnic northwest China and in urban Australia and New Zealand. I have extensive ethnographic experience in in Northwest China and Australasia, and am the only social scientist globally working on nappy-free infant hygiene. I am broadly interested in the transformative potential of hybrid research collectives for social and environmental change that begins in the home, particularly around concepts of hygiene.
I am involved in a related project with with Katharine Mckinnon and Stephen Healy exploring economies of care (particularly maternity care). I am beginning a further project with others in the Community Economies Collective looking at mapping alternative economic practices in post-quake Christchurch, NZ.
- Chitondo M. and Dombroski K. (2019) Returning Water Data to Communities in Ndola, Zambia: A Case Study in Decolonising Environmental Science. Case Studies in the Environment http://dx.doi.org/10.1525/cse.2018.001552.
- Dombroski K. and Do HT. (2019) The affect of effect: affirmative political ecologies in monitoring climate change adaptation interventions. Nordia Geographical Publications Yearbook 47(5): 7-20.
- Dombroski K., Diprose G. and Boles I. (2019) Can the commons be temporary? The role of transitional commoning in post-quake Christchurch. Local Environment 24(4): 313-328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2019.1567480.
- Dombroski K., Watkins AF., Fitt H., Frater J., Banwell K., Mackenzie K., Mutambo L., Hawke K., Persendt F. and Turković J. (2018) Journeying from “I” to “we”: assembling hybrid caring collectives of geography doctoral scholars. Journal of Geography in Higher Education 42(1): 80-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2017.1335295.
- Dombroski KF. (2018) Learning to be affected: Maternal connection, intuition and "elimination communication". Emotion, Space and Society 26: 72-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emospa.2017.09.004.