Qualifications & Memberships
Lecturer (Teaching & Admin) for the Department of Geological Sciences.
My PhD research ending in 2010 was focused on investigating active tectonics, geomorphology, fault mapping and sequence stratigraphy by seismic interpretation, and the evolution of a section of the active plate margin off-shore the Poverty Bay region in the North Island, New Zealand. This project was a collaboration with researchers from New Zealand (including from Victoria University, NIWA and the Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences) and the United States.
I am currently revisiting my BSc Honours research in Physical Volcanology writing a first-authored journal paper submission on "Explosive ignimbrite forming eruptions from a reincarnating lava dome, Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand".
I also maintain active involvement with education research as part of my full-time teaching role. My focus is on Geoscience education in particular and the use of electronic learning media and curriculum innovations, particularly in response to a disaster scenario, but with wider applications. I'm also focused on research into best-practice teacher training and review processes. I am co-author on a Ako Aotearoa Good Publication Grant article titled "Curriculum restructuring overnight: Teaching large first-year classes after a major earthquake".
- Litchfield N., Villamor P., Van Dissen R., Nicol A., Barnes P., Barrell D., Pettinga J., Langridge R., Little T. and Mountjoy J. (2018) Surface Rupture of Multiple Crustal Faults in the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikōura, New Zealand, Earthquake. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 108(3B): 1496-1520. http://dx.doi.org/10.1785/0120170300.
- Nicol A., Khajavi N., Pettinga J., Fenton C., Stahl T., Bannister S., Pedley KL., Hyland-Brook N., Bushell T. and Hamling I. (2018) Preliminary Geometry, Displacement, and Kinematics of Fault Ruptures in the Epicentral Region of the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikōura, New Zealand, Earthquake. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 108(3B): 1521-1539. http://dx.doi.org/10.1785/0120170329.
- Stirling MW., Litchfield NJ., Villamor P., Van Dissen RJ., Nicol A., Pettinga J., Barnes P., Langridge RM., Little T. and Barrell DJA. (2017) The Mw7.8 2016 Kaikōura earthquake: Surface fault rupture and seismic hazard context. Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 50(2): 73-84.
- Stirling MW., Litchfield NJ., Villamor P., VanDissen RJ., Nicol A., Pettinga JR., Barnes P., Langridge RM., Little T. and Barrell DJA. (2017) The Mw7.8 2016 Kaikōura earthquake: Surface Fault Rupture and Seismic Hazard Context. Bulletin- New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 50(2): 73-84.
- Barrell DJA., Litchfield NJ., Townsend DB., Quigley M., Van Dissen RJ., Cosgrove R., Cox SC., Furlong K., Villamor P. and Begg JG. (2011) Strike-slip ground-surface rupture (Greendale Fault) associated with the 4th September 2010 Darfield Earthquake, Canterbury, New Zealand. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology & Hydrogeology 44(3): 283-291. http://dx.doi.org/10.1144/1470-9236/11-034.