Qualifications & Memberships
Kate grew up in Palmerston North and the wider Manawatu region. She attended the University of Canterbury, graduating with a Bachelor of Speech and Language Therapy in 2007 and completed her Master of Speech and Language Therapy in 2008. Kate has worked as a Speech-Language Therapist in District Health Boards around New Zealand and Australia with a focus on Adult Health, before taking up a position of Clinical Educator in the Department of Communication Disorders in 2013. Kate is one of the Clinical Educators teaching into the Clinical Papers as part of the BSLP, MSLP and MSc in Speech Sciences programmes and is currently working on research projects investigating student learning in clinical education.
- Cook KJ., Messick CK., Ramsay RMA. and Tillard GD. (2019) A Preliminary Investigation in the Use of Questions by Clinical Educators When Working With First- and Final-Year Speech-Language Pathology Students. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups 4(2): 363-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2019_pers-sig11-2018-0009.
- Tillard G., Cook KJ., Gerhard D., Keast L. and McAuliffe M. (2018) Speech-language pathology student participation in verbal reflective practice groups: perceptions of development, value and group condition differences.. Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences and Disorders 2(2) 5 http://dx.doi.org/10.30707/TLCSD2.2Tillard.
- Cook KJ., Tillard G., Wyles C., Gerhard D., Ormond T. and McAuliffe M. (2017) Assessing and developing the written reflective practice skills of speech-language pathology students. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology : 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2017.1374463.
- Ormond T., Nijhof E., Cook K., Tillard G., Dillon C., Dean J. and O'Leary M. (2018) An Interprofessional Education Session for 60 Participants: Discharge planning and Documentation.. Boston, USA: American Speech and Hearing Convention, 15 Nov 2018-17 Nov 2017.
- Cook KJ. and Tillard GD. (2017) What is my student thinking? Using written reflections to develop student critical thinking skills. Sydney, Australia: Speech Pathology Australia Conference, 28-31 May 2017.