Qualifications & Memberships
Research interest is applied stream ecology with emphasis on the impacts of human land-use activities (e.g. mining, urbanisation, agriculture, forestry and hydro-electric power development) and forest fragmentation. Specific interests are: the effects of long-term land use activities on stream ecosystems, with particular emphasis on benthic diversity and impacts on regionally endemic species; predicting anthropogenic impacts on river continuums; the application of stream ecology in biomonitoring and the development of State of the Environment programs; taxonomy and ecology of aquatic invertebrates; stream restoration ecology; and environmental education.
- Bray JP., Kilroy C., Gerbeaux P., Burdon FJ. and Harding JS. (2020) Ecological processes mediate the effects of the invasive bloom-forming diatom Didymosphenia geminata on stream algal and invertebrate assemblages. Hydrobiologia 847(1): 177-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04080-5.
- Burdon FJ., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2019) Mechanisms of trophic niche compression: Evidence from landscape disturbance. Journal of Animal Ecology http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13142.
- Collins KE., Febria CM., Warburton HJ., Devlin HS., Hogsden KL., Goeller BC., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2019) Evaluating practical macrophyte control tools on small agricultural waterways in Canterbury, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 53(2): 182-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2018.1487454.
- Coxon S., Harding JS. and Gilpin B. (2019) Faecal indicator bacteria in New Zealand freshwater fish: a pilot study. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 53(3): 470-479. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2019.1602060.
- Goeller BC., Burbery LF., Febria CM., Collins KE., Burrows NJ., Simon KS., Harding JS. and McIntosh AR. (2019) Capacity for bioreactors and riparian rehabilitation to enhance nitrate attenuation in agricultural streams. Ecological Engineering 134: 65-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2019.03.014.