Qualifications & Memberships
Research interest is applied stream ecology with emphasis on the impacts of human land-use activities (e.g. mining, urbanisation, agriculture, forestry and hydro-electric power development) and forest fragmentation. Specific interests are: the effects of long-term land use activities on stream ecosystems, with particular emphasis on benthic diversity and impacts on regionally endemic species; predicting anthropogenic impacts on river continuums; the application of stream ecology in biomonitoring and the development of State of the Environment programs; taxonomy and ecology of aquatic invertebrates; stream restoration ecology; and environmental education.
- Feio MJ., Hughes RM., Callisto M., Nichols SJ., Odume ON., Quintella BR., Kuemmerlen M., Aguiar FC., Almeida SFP. and Alonso-Eguíalis P. (2021) The biological assessment and rehabilitation of theworld’s rivers: An overview. Water (Switzerland) 13(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/w13030371.
- Goeller BC., Febria CM., Harding JS. and McIntosh AR. (2021) Response to Comments by Liu et al. 2021 to “Springs drive downstream nitrate export form artificially-drained agricultural headwater catchments” by Goeller et al., 2019. Science of the Total Environment 783 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.147518.
- Moore TP., Febria CM., McIntosh AR., Warburton HJ. and Harding JS. (2021) Benthic Invertebrate Indices Show No Response to High Nitrate-Nitrogen in Lowland Agricultural Streams. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 232(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11270-021-05169-1.
- Bray JP., Kilroy C., Gerbeaux P., Burdon FJ. and Harding JS. (2020) Ecological processes mediate the effects of the invasive bloom-forming diatom Didymosphenia geminata on stream algal and invertebrate assemblages. Hydrobiologia 847(1): 177-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04080-5.
- Burdon FJ., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2020) Mechanisms of trophic niche compression: Evidence from landscape disturbance. Journal of Animal Ecology 89(3): 730-744. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13142.