Qualifications & Memberships
Research interest is applied stream ecology with emphasis on the impacts of human land-use activities (e.g. mining, urbanisation, agriculture, forestry and hydro-electric power development) and forest fragmentation. Specific interests are: the effects of long-term land use activities on stream ecosystems, with particular emphasis on benthic diversity and impacts on regionally endemic species; predicting anthropogenic impacts on river continuums; the application of stream ecology in biomonitoring and the development of State of the Environment programs; taxonomy and ecology of aquatic invertebrates; stream restoration ecology; and environmental education.
- Bray JP., Kilroy C., Gerbeaux P., Burdon FJ. and Harding JS. (2020) Ecological processes mediate the effects of the invasive bloom-forming diatom Didymosphenia geminata on stream algal and invertebrate assemblages. Hydrobiologia 847(1): 177-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10750-019-04080-5.
- Burdon FJ., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2020) Mechanisms of trophic niche compression: Evidence from landscape disturbance. Journal of Animal Ecology 89(3): 730-744. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.13142.
- Collins KE., Febria CM., Devlin HS., Hogsden KL., Warburton HJ., Goeller BC., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2020) Trialling tools using hand-weeding, weed mat and artificial shading to control nuisance macrophyte growth at multiple scales in small agricultural waterways. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2020.1722185.
- Drinan TJ., Grainger NPJ., Harding JS., Collier KJ., Smith BJ., Death RG., Makan T. and Rolfe JR. (2020) Analysis of the conservation status of New Zealand freshwater invertebrates: temporal changes, knowledge gaps, impediments, and management implications. New Zealand Journal of Zoology : 1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014223.2020.1778044.
- Goeller BC., Febria CM., McKergow LA., Harding JS., Matheson FE., Tanner CC. and McIntosh AR. (2020) Combining tools from edge-of-field to in-stream to attenuate reactive Nitrogen along small agricultural water ways. Water (Switzerland) 12(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/w12020383.