My research focuses on the role of sexual selection in the evolution of avian reproductive behaviour. I am particularly interested in how sperm competition and female choice have shaped the evolution of mating systems in birds. This involves field studies of mating behaviour, brood parasitism and parental care, as well as lab-based studies of sperm storage by females and sperm production by males. I also have an interest in the conservation of birds and reptiles, especially the consequences of population bottlenecks for the long-term survival of endangered species.
- Bennet DG., Horton TW., Goldstien SJ., Rowe L. and Briskie JV. (2020) Seasonal and annual variation in the diving behaviour of Hutton's shearwater (Puffinus huttoni). New Zealand Journal of Zoology 47(4): 300-323. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014223.2020.1767660.
- de la Higuera I., Kasun GW., Torrance EL., Pratt AA., Maluenda A., Colombet J., Bisseux M., Ravet V., Dayaram A. and Stainton D. (2020) Unveiling crucivirus diversity by mining metagenomic data. mBio 11(5): 1-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/mBio.01410-20.
- Bennet D., Horton T., Goldstien S., Rowe L. and Briskie J. (2019) Flying south: Foraging locations of the Hutton's shearwater (Puffinus huttoni) revealed by Time‐Depth Recorders and GPS tracking. Ecology and Evolution 9(14): 7914-7927. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ece3.5171.
- Briskie J. (2019) Gamete sharing by "cloacal kissing". In Choe JC (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior (2nd ed.): 505-512. Amsterdam: Academic Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809633-8.90126-2.
- Khwaja N., Briskie JV. and Hatchwell BJ. (2019) Individuality, kin similarity and experimental playback of contact calls in cooperatively breeding riflemen. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 46(4): 334-347. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014223.2019.1587477.