Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include the processes that control the behaviour and toxicity of trace elements such as arsenic, copper, lead, zinc and cadmium in natural freshwaters and groundwaters. This includes waters affected by acid mine drainage, urban stormwater and geothermal fluid discharge, the role of natural iron oxide minerals in reducing trace element toxicity and mobility in freshwaters, and trace element and major ion behaviour in Antarctic meltwaters, particularly the lake and pond systems which accommodate most of Antarctica’s inland biological communities. Field, analytical and experimental approaches are used, together with computer modelling of metal speciation, toxicity and adsorption processes in aquatic systems.
- Devane ML., Moriarty EM., Robson B., Lin S., Wood D., Webster-Brown J. and Gilpin BJ. (2019) Relationships between chemical and microbial faecal source tracking markers in urban river water and sediments during and post-discharge of human sewage. Science of the Total Environment 651: 1588-1604. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.09.258.
- Rissmann CWF., Pearson LK., Beyer M., Couldrey MA., Lindsay JL., Martin AP., Baisden WT., Clough TJ., Horton TW. and Webster-Brown JG. (2019) A hydrochemically guided landscape classification system for modelling spatial variation in multiple water quality indices: Process-attribute mapping. Science of the Total Environment 672: 815-833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.03.492.
- Webster-Brown JG. (2018) Bridging the Chasm of Doom.Commissioned by Environmental Southland /Envirolink.
- Webster-Brown JG. (2018) Scott Base Environmental Inspection 2017.50.
- Fairgray ME. and Webster-Brown JG. (2017) Release of toxic trace elements from contaminated stream sediment at Tui Mine, Te Aroha, New Zealand. Christchurch: AusIMM Annual conference, 10-15 Sep 2017. In Proceedings of the AusIMM Annual Conference 2017.