Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests include the processes that control the behaviour and toxicity of trace elements such as arsenic, copper, lead, zinc and cadmium in natural freshwaters and groundwaters. This includes waters affected by acid mine drainage, urban stormwater and geothermal fluid discharge, the role of natural iron oxide minerals in reducing trace element toxicity and mobility in freshwaters, and trace element and major ion behaviour in Antarctic meltwaters, particularly the lake and pond systems which accommodate most of Antarctica’s inland biological communities. Field, analytical and experimental approaches are used, together with computer modelling of metal speciation, toxicity and adsorption processes in aquatic systems.
- Waters S., Webster-Brown JG. and Hawes I. (2021) The release of legacy phosphorus from deforestation-derived sediments in shallow, coastal lake Forsyth/Te Roto o Wairewa. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 55(3): 446-465. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2020.1804408.
- Devane M., Robson B., Lin S., Scholes P., Wood D., Weaver L., Webster-Brown J. and Gilpin B. (2020) Bacterial community shifts in decomposing cowpats and the subsequent impacts on fecal source indicators for water quality monitoring. Ecological Indicators 113 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.106239.
- Fairgray ME., Webster-Brown JG. and Pope J. (2020) Testing Geochemical Predictions of Trace Element Toxicity and Bioavailability at a Rehabilitated Mine Site. Mine Water and the Environment 39(1): 75-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10230-019-00644-y.
- Devane ML., Moriarty EM., Robson B., Lin S., Wood D., Webster-Brown J. and Gilpin BJ. (2019) Relationships between chemical and microbial faecal source tracking markers in urban river water and sediments during and post-discharge of human sewage. Science of the Total Environment 651: 1588-1604. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.09.258.
- Rissmann CWF., Pearson LK., Beyer M., Couldrey MA., Lindsay JL., Martin AP., Baisden WT., Clough TJ., Horton TW. and Webster-Brown JG. (2019) A hydrochemically guided landscape classification system for modelling spatial variation in multiple water quality indices: Process-attribute mapping. Science of the Total Environment 672: 815-833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.03.492.