Research interests are:
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication Technology and Strategies
- Deaf and Hearing Impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sutherland DE. (2006) Phonological representations, phonological awareness, and print decoding ability in children with moderate to severe speech impairment. Christchurch, New Zealand. University of Canterbury.
- McLay L., Sutherland D., Machalicek W. and Sigafoos J. (2020) Systematic Review of Telehealth Interventions for the Treatment of Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents. Journal of Behavioral Education http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10864-020-09364-8.
- Newbury JM. and Sutherland D. (2019) Measurement of child-directed speech: A survey of clinical practice. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2019.1650111.
- Gosteva A. and Sutherland D. (2018) Child-centred play therapy strategies for promoting self-regulation in children with developmental disabilities.. The First Years Nga Tau Tuatahi: New Zealand Journal of Infant and Toddler Education 20(2): 27-33.
- McLay L., Schäfer MCM., van der Meer L., Couper L., McKenzie E., O Reilly MF., Lancioni GE., Marschik PB., Sigafoos J. and Sutherland D. (2017) Acquisition, Preference and Follow-up Comparison Across Three AAC Modalities Taught to Two Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education 64(2): 117-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1034912X.2016.1188892.