Research interests are:
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication Technology and Strategies
- Deaf and Hearing Impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sutherland DE. (2006) Phonological representations, phonological awareness, and print decoding ability in children with moderate to severe speech impairment. Christchurch, New Zealand. University of Canterbury.
- Henderson-Faranda N., Newbury J. and Sutherland D. (2022) Using computer assisted instruction to improve reading comprehension of children on the autism spectrum: a pilot study. Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties.
- Gibson E., Sutherland D. and Newbury J. (2020) New Zealand parents/caregivers’ knowledge and beliefs about child language development. Speech, Language and Hearing http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2050571X.2020.1827829.
- McLay L., Sutherland D., Machalicek W. and Sigafoos J. (2020) Systematic Review of Telehealth Interventions for the Treatment of Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents. Journal of Behavioral Education 29(2): 222-245. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10864-020-09364-8.
- Newbury JM. and Sutherland D. (2019) Measurement of child-directed speech: A survey of clinical practice. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2019.1650111.