Research interests are:
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication Technology and Strategies
- Deaf and Hearing Impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sutherland DE. (2006) Phonological representations, phonological awareness, and print decoding ability in children with moderate to severe speech impairment. Christchurch, New Zealand. University of Canterbury.
- Newbury JM. and Sutherland D. (2019) Measurement of child-directed speech: A survey of clinical practice. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology.
- Gosteva A. and Sutherland D. (2018) Child-centred play therapy strategies for promoting self-regulation in children with developmental disabilities.. The First Years: Nga Tau Tuatahi. New Zealand Journal of Infant and Toddler Education 20(2): 27-33.
- McLay L., Schäfer MCM., van der Meer L., Couper L., McKenzie E., O Reilly MF., Lancioni GE., Marschik PB., Sigafoos J. and Sutherland D. (2017) Acquisition, Preference and Follow-up Comparison Across Three AAC Modalities Taught to Two Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education 64(2): 117-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1034912X.2016.1188892.
- McLay L., Church J. and Sutherland D. (2016) Variables affecting the emergence of untaught equivalence relations in children with and without autism. Developmental Neurorehabilitation 19(2): 75-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/17518423.2014.899649.