My research interests include environmental management and tourism regulation in extreme environments (with a particular focus on the polar regions), tourism practice and theory, value systems as well as decision-making on environmental and climate change issues.
I am currently involved in research projects focussing on (a) human activities and their impacts in the McMurdo Dry Valleys (Antarctica), (b) Antarctic futures, (c) Antarctic gateway cities, (d) Antarctic geopolitics (in particular decision-making in relation to tourism politics and environmental management), and (e) the complex relationships between users and providers of weather and climate information. The latter project is associated with the World Meteorological Organization's (WMO) Polar Prediction Project (PPP).
Methodologically, I am interested in qualitative research that crosses different disciplines and challenges conventional research paradigms.
- Alexander KA., Liggett D., Leane E., Nielsen HEF., Bailey JL., Brasier MJ. and Haward M. (2020) What and who is an Antarctic ambassador? Polar Record http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0032247420000194.
- Bromwich DH., Werner K., Casati B., Powers JG., Gorodetskaya IV., Massonnet F., Vitale V., Heinrich VJ., Liggett D. and Arndt S. (2020) The Year of Polar Prediction in the Southern Hemisphere (YOPP-SH). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society preprint(2020) http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/bams-d-19-0255.1.
- Haavisto R., Lamers M., Thoman R., Liggett D., Carrasco J., Dawson J., Ljubicic G. and Stewart E. (2020) Mapping weather, water, ice and climate (WWIC) information providers in Polar Regions: who are they and who do they serve? Polar Geography 43(2-3): 120-138. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1088937X.2019.1707320.
- Lamers M. and Liggett D. (2020) Generating Societal Value from Improved Weather, Water & Ice Forecasts in the Polar Regions. Polar Geography 43(2-3): 89-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1088937X.2020.1766594.
- Stewart EJ., Liggett D., Lamers M., Ljubicic G., Dawson J., Thoman R., Haavisto R. and Carrasco J. (2020) Characterizing polar mobilities to understand the role of weather, water, ice and climate (WWIC) information. Polar Geography 43(2-3): 95-119. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1088937X.2019.1707319.