My research focus is the study of complexity in ecology. I apply tools from fields outside of biology, such as engineering or physics, to uncover patterns in empirical data and explore their ecological and evolutionary consequences.
- Stouffer DB. and Novak M. (2021) Hidden layers of density dependence in consumer feeding rates. Ecology Letters http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ele.13670.
- Bramon Mora B., Shin E., CaraDonna PJ. and Stouffer DB. (2020) Untangling the seasonal dynamics of plant-pollinator communities. Nature Communications 11(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17894-y.
- Cirtwill AR., Dalla Riva GV., Baker NJ., Ohlsson M., Norström I., Wohlfarth IM., Thia JA. and Stouffer DB. (2020) Related plants tend to share pollinators and herbivores, but strength of phylogenetic signal varies among plant families. New Phytologist 226(3): 909-920. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nph.16420.
- Coux C., Donoso I., Tylianakis JM., García D., Martínez D., Dehling DM. and Stouffer DB. (2020) Tricky partners: native plants show stronger interaction preferences than their exotic counterparts. Ecology http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3239.
- Dehling DM., Peralta G., Bender IMA., Blendinger PG., Böhning-Gaese K., Muñoz MC., Neuschulz EL., Quitián M., Saavedra F. and Santillán V. (2020) Similar composition of functional roles in Andean seed-dispersal networks, despite high species and interaction turnover. Ecology 101(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3028.
Biological scientist Dr Daniel Stouffer has been awarded the inaugural UC Early and Emerging Career Researcher Award. He is a theoretical ecologist whose research focuses on species-species interaction networks.