My research focus is the study of complexity in ecology. I apply tools from fields outside of biology, such as engineering or physics, to uncover patterns in empirical data and explore their ecological and evolutionary consequences.
- Chalmandrier L., Stouffer DB., Purcell AST., Lee WG., Tanentzap AJ. and Laughlin DC. (2022) Predictions of biodiversity are improved by integrating trait-based competition with abiotic filtering. Ecology Letters 25(5): 1277-1289. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ele.13980.
- Dehling DM., Riva GVD., Hutchinson MC. and Stouffer DB. (2022) Niche Packing and Local Coexistence in a Megadiverse Guild of Frugivorous Birds Are Mediated by Fruit Dependence and Shifts in Interaction Frequencies. American Naturalist 199(6): 855-868. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/718684.
- Lai HR., Chong KY., Yee ATK., Mayfield MM. and Stouffer DB. (2022) Non-additive biotic interactions improve predictions of tropical tree growth and impact community size structure. Ecology 103(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3588.
- Llewelyn J., Strona G., McDowell MC., Johnson CN., Peters KJ., Stouffer DB., de Visser SN., Saltré F. and Bradshaw CJA. (2022) Sahul's megafauna were vulnerable to plant-community changes due to their position in the trophic network. Ecography 2022(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ecog.06089.
- Runghen R., Stouffer DB. and Dalla Riva GV. (2022) Exploiting node metadata to predict interactions in bipartite networks using graph embedding and neural networks. Royal Society Open Science 9(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rsos.220079.
Biological scientist Dr Daniel Stouffer has been awarded the inaugural UC Early and Emerging Career Researcher Award. He is a theoretical ecologist whose research focuses on species-species interaction networks.