My research focus is the study of complexity in ecology. I apply tools from fields outside of biology, such as engineering or physics, to uncover patterns in empirical data and explore their ecological and evolutionary consequences.
- Cirtwill AR., Dalla Riva GV., Baker NJ., Ohlsson M., Norström I., Wohlfarth IM., Thia JA. and Stouffer DB. (2020) Related plants tend to share pollinators and herbivores, but strength of phylogenetic signal varies among plant families. New Phytologist 226(3): 909-920. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nph.16420.
- Dehling DM., Peralta G., Bender IMA., Blendinger PG., Böhning-Gaese K., Muñoz MC., Neuschulz EL., Quitián M., Saavedra F. and Santillán V. (2020) Similar composition of functional roles in Andean seed-dispersal networks, despite high species and interaction turnover. Ecology 101(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ecy.3028.
- Delgado-Baquerizo M., Doulcier G., Eldridge DJ., Stouffer DB., Maestre FT., Wang J., Powell JR., Jeffries TC. and Singh BK. (2020) Increases in aridity lead to drastic shifts in the assembly of dryland complex microbial networks. Land Degradation and Development 31(3): 346-355. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ldr.3453.
- Llopis-Belenguer C., Blasco-Costa I., Balbuena JA., Sarabeev V. and Stouffer DB. (2020) Native and invasive hosts play different roles in host–parasite networks. Ecography 43(4): 559-568. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ecog.04963.
- Peralta G., Stouffer DB., Bringa EM. and Vázquez DP. (2020) No such thing as a free lunch: interaction costs and the structure and stability of mutualistic networks. Oikos 129(4): 503-511. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/oik.06503.
Biological scientist Dr Daniel Stouffer has been awarded the inaugural UC Early and Emerging Career Researcher Award. He is a theoretical ecologist whose research focuses on species-species interaction networks.