I am a plant biology lecturer/ assistant professor at the School of Biological Sciences and associate investigator at the Biomolecular Interaction Centre (BIC), University of Canterbury, New Zealand, focussing on molecular plant biology and plant biochemistry, with a focus on plant-microbe interactions, abiotic stress adaptations and relevant signal-transduction pathways. I am particularly interested in how climate change effects plant-pathogen interactions and disease outbreaks.
In my lab, we are mainly interested how pathogenic oomycetes and bacteria (soil- and air-born) interact with the plant. In order to successfully colonize their hosts and subvert immune responses, plant pathogens secrete molecules, so‐called effectors. In my group, we focus on translocated effector proteins and their target proteins in the host plant. Additionally, we are elucidating how abiotic factors effect plant health and immunity to improve future agricultural systems and ecosystem protection.
Projects range from applied to fundamental research topics, using a wide range of techniques:
• Confocal microscopy for live cell imaging (Localization, FRET-FLIM, Ca and ROS signalling)
• Dual-flow RootChips
• Co-Immunoprecipitation, Western blotting, EMSA
• Mass spectrometry
• DAPseq, RNAseq
- Allan C., Morris RJ. and Meisrimler CN. (2022) Encoding, transmission, decoding, and specificity of calcium signals in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 73(11): 3372-3385. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erac105.
- Board AJ., Crowther JM., Acevedo-Fani A., Meisrimler CN., Jameson GB. and Dobson RCJ. (2022) How plants solubilise seed fats: revisiting oleosin structure and function to inform commercial applications. Biophysical Reviews 14(1): 257-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12551-021-00923-5.
- Amoozadeh S., Johnston J. and Meisrimler CN. (2021) Exploiting structural modelling tools to explore host-translocated effector proteins. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 22(23) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms222312962.
- Meisrimler CN., Allan C., Eccersall S. and Morris RJ. (2021) Interior design: how plant pathogens optimize their living conditions. New Phytologist 229(5): 2514-2524. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nph.17024.
- Dickie I., Heinemann J., Garrill A., Lauren-Manuera N., Meisrimler C., Stott M. and Remus-Emsermann M. (2020) Teaching laboratory best practice considerations for Covid19. Research gate: http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.14923149.v2.