Qualifications & Memberships
There are three main strands to my research
1) Carbonate sedimentology and diagenesis, relationships of authigenic minerals to oceanography and biogenic activity, and the resource potential of New Zealand glauconite minerals. New Zealand geological development in the Cenozoic through carbonate sedimentology, palaeography and sequence stratigraphy.
2) The response of estuarine environments to coseismic events and the potential record of palaeoseismic activity in estuarine sediments, and their record of human influence and pollutants.
3) The palaeoecology and biogeography of Permian biotas of New Zealand and Australia, and the response of these faunas to the end of the Late Palaeoizoic Ice Age. Systematics and palaeoenvironmental applications of late Palaeozoic bryozoans of Australia and New Zealand. Growth in Palaeozoic bryozoans and their response to variation in water temperature and alkalinity.
- Lane EM., Borrero J., Whittaker CN., Bind J., Chagué-Goff C., Goff J., Goring D., Hoyle J., Mueller C. and Power WL. (2017) Effects of Inundation by the 14th November, 2016 Kaikōura Tsunami on Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, New Zealand. Pure and Applied Geophysics 174(5): 1855-1874. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00024-017-1534-x.
- Power W., Clark K., King DN., Borrero J., Howarth J., Lane EM., Goring D., Goff J., Chagué-Goff C. and Williams J. (2017) Tsunami runup and tide-gauge observations from the 14 November 2016 M7.8 Kaikōura earthquake, New Zealand. Pure and Applied Geophysics 174(7): 2457-2473. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00024-017-1566-2.
- Reid C., Cochran U., Clark K., Marsden I., Litchfield N. and Ries W. (2017) Salt marsh plant response to vertical deformation resulting from the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 60(3): 220-238. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2017.1307233.
- Quigley MC., Hughes MW., Bradley BA., van Ballegooy S., Reid CM., Morgenroth J., Horton TW., Duffy B. and Pettinga JR. (2016) The 2010-2011 Canterbury Earthquake Sequence: Environmental effects, seismic triggering thresholds and geologic legacy. Tectonophysics 672–673: 228-274. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2016.01.044.
- Hayward BW., Sabaa AT., Figueira B., Reid CM. and Nomura R. (2015) Foraminiferal record of the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquake sequence, New Zealand, and possible predecessors. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 438: 213-225. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2015.07.050.