ADJUNCT - While Parkinson's disease is generally recognised by its characteristic motor symptoms, it is also accompanied by deficits in other areas of functioning. However, these additional deficits are often poorly defined. My research investigates the neuropsychiatric and cognitive deficits associated with Parkinson's disease, with a particular emphasis on identifying those individuals in the pre-clinical stages of dementia. The identification of a subgroup in the pre-clinical stages of dementia is of considerable importance as it will enable prediction of those individuals who are most likely to develop dementia, and lead to timely intervention.
I am also investigating the long term psychosocial, cognitive and psychiatric outcomes following mild head injury in early childhood. This study is unique in the length of time and frequency that children have been assessed following head injury. This research has received considerable attention both nationally and internationally. This work is in collaboration with Professor David Fergusson and John Horwood of the Christchurch Health and Development Study, and a number of other national and international collaborators are associated with the project.
- Anderson V., Rausa VC., Anderson N., Parkin G., Clarke C., Davies K., McKinlay A., Crichton A., Davis GA. and Dalziel K. (2021) Protocol for a randomised clinical trial of multimodal postconcussion symptom treatment and recovery: The concussion essentials study. BMJ Open 11(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041458.
- Buck K. and McKinlay A. (2021) What Do Educators Know and Want to Know about Childhood Brain Injury? International Journal of Disability, Development and Education 68(5): 662-677. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1034912X.2020.1716957.
- Valikhani A., Sattarian R., Rahmanian M., Moustafa AA. and McKinlay A. (2021) Self-Worth and Self-Knowledge in Iranian Patients Seeking Cosmetic Surgery: A Comparative Study. Journal of Pacific Rim Psychology 15 http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1834490920974761.
- Yumul JN., Crowe L., Catroppa C., Anderson V. and McKinlay A. (2021) Post-concussive Signs and Symptoms in Preschool Children: A Systematic Review. Neuropsychology Review http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11065-021-09518-z.
- Albicini M., Eggleston M. and McKinlay A. (2020) The prevalence of traumatic brain injury, comorbid anxiety and other psychiatric disorders in an outpatient child and adolescent mental health service. Journal of Mental Health 29(4): 439-445. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638237.2017.1385733.