My research applies experimental and other psychological methods to address philosophical topics pertaining to human agency, rationality, and morality. My main interest currently is moral rationality: the idea that being rational requires moral character. People survive via cooperation, so they need to 1) demonstrate to others that they are good partners by being moral and 2) be vigilant in ensuring that others are moral. A related interest is moral diversity: people have diverse ideas about right and wrong. Why?
You can learn more from my research website: http://andyvonasch.wixsite.com/mysite
- Allan DD., Vonasch AJ. and Bartneck C. (2022) “I Have to Praise You Like I Should?” The Effects of Implicit Self-Theories and Robot-Delivered Praise on Evaluations of a Social Robot. International Journal of Social Robotics 14(4): 1013-1024. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12369-021-00848-9.
- Allan DD., Vonasch AJ. and Bartneck C. (2022) The Doors of Social Robot Perception: The Influence of Implicit Self-theories. International Journal of Social Robotics 14(1): 127-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12369-021-00767-9.
- Goya-Tocchetto D., Kay AC., Vuletich H., Vonasch A. and Payne K. (2022) The partisan trade-off bias: When political polarization meets policy trade-offs. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 98 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2021.104231.
- Pavlović T., Azevedo F., De K., Riaño-Moreno JC., Maglić M., Gkinopoulos T., Donnelly-Kehoe PA., Payán-Gómez C., Huang G. and Kantorowicz J. (2022) Predicting attitudinal and behavioral responses to COVID-19 pandemic using machine learning.. PNAS Nexus 1(3): pgac093. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/pnasnexus/pgac093.
- Van Bavel JJ., Cichocka A., Capraro V., Sjåstad H., Nezlek JB., Pavlović T., Alfano M., Gelfand MJ., Azevedo F. and Birtel MD. (2022) Author Correction: National identity predicts public health support during a global pandemic (Nature Communications, (2022), 13, 1, (517), 10.1038/s41467-021-27668-9). Nature Communications 13(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-29658-x.