Qualifications & Memberships
Atmospheric processes and phenomena of a range of spatial and temporal scales, particularly synoptic and sub-synoptic scale meteorology and climatology. A key research focus is investigation of the effects of the Earth’s surface on the atmosphere near the ground and applications to human activity.
Specific recent topics include: wind and storm hazards (legal insurance work); the modelling and measurement of air pollution and dust dispersion; meteorological and climatological applications in agriculture, such as frost protection and the selection of sites for vineyard development; evaluating wind energy potential in regions of complex terrain and short term prediction of wind energy generation; and investigation of the processes controlling the thermal environment of coral reefs.
- Parker AK., de Cortázar-Atauri IG., Trought MCT., Destrac A., Agnew R., Sturman A. and van Leeuwen C. (2020) Adaptation to climate change by determining grapevine cultivar differences using temperature-based phenology models. Oeno One 54(4): 955-974. http://dx.doi.org/10.20870/OENO-ONE.2020.54.4.3861.
- Pretorius I., Sturman A., Strand T., Katurji M. and Pearce G. (2020) A meteorological study of the port hills fire, christchurch, New Zealand. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 59(2): 263-280. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-19-0223.1.
- Le Roux R., Katurji M., Zawar-Reza P., Quénol H. and Sturman A. (2019) Analysis of spatio-temporal bias of Weather Research and Forecasting temperatures based on weather pattern classification. International Journal of Climatology 39(1): 89-100. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/joc.5784.
- McGowan H., Sturman A., Saunders M., Theobald A. and Wiebe A. (2019) Insights From a Decade of Research on Coral Reef—Atmosphere Energetics. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 124(8): 4269-4282. http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2018JD029830.
- Khan B., Abualnaja Y., Al-Subhi AM., Nellayaputhenpeedika M., Nellikkattu Thody M. and Sturman AP. (2018) Climatology of sea breezes along the Red Sea coast of Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Climatology 38(9): 3633-3650. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/joc.5523.