Understanding volatile behaviour from the source regions of magma deep in the Earth to eruptions at the surface.
Qualifications & Memberships
My research encompasses igneous petrology, geochemistry and volcanology. I specialise in the use of in-situ micro-analytical techniques to measure the compositions of volcanic rocks, glass, minerals and inclusions of melt trapped inside minerals. I am particularly interested in quantifying volatiles to understand mantle volatile cycles and the role volatiles play in magmatic processes, from mantle melting through to eruption. I work with samples from a variety of tectonic settings ranging from basalt to rhyolite in composition. Samples are often collected from volcanoes that erupted under water or ice so that they retain magmatic volatiles. I am involved in the international scientific ocean drilling programme, having participated in two expeditions.
- Ou Q., Nichols ARL., Carvalho BB., Zi F., Wang K., Li J., Zhang L. and Liu JY. (2021) The role of axial discontinuities in oceanic crustal evolution: Evidence from elemental and Mo[sbnd]Sr[sbnd]Nd[sbnd]Pb[sbnd]Hf isotopic compositions of rock suites from the Southwest Indian Ridge (42°–53°E). Marine Geology 442 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2021.106626.
- Qian S., Gazel E., Nichols ARL., Cheng H., Zhang L., Salters VJ., Li J., Xia X. and Zhou H. (2021) The Origin of Late Cenozoic Magmatism in the South China Sea and Southeast Asia. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 22(8) http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2021GC009686.
- Rose-Koga EF., Bouvier AS., Gaetani GA., Wallace PJ., Allison CM., Andrys JA., Angeles de la Torre CA., Barth A., Bodnar RJ. and Bracco Gartner AJJ. (2021) Silicate melt inclusions in the new millennium: A review of recommended practices for preparation, analysis, and data presentation. Chemical Geology 570 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2021.120145.
- Saubin E., Kennedy B., Tuffen H., Nichols ARL., Villeneuve M., Bindeman I., Mortensen A., Schipper CI., Wadsworth FB. and Watson T. (2021) Textural and geochemical window into the IDDP-1 rhyolitic melt, Krafla, Iceland, and its reaction to drilling. Bulletin of the Geological Society of America 133(9-10): 1815-1830. http://dx.doi.org/10.1130/B35598.1.
- Qian SP., Nichols ARL., Zhang L., Xu YG., Li J., Guo YL. and Ren ZY. (2020) The Mantle Transition Zone Hosts the Missing HIMU Reservoir Beneath Eastern China. Geophysical Research Letters 47(9) http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2020GL087260.