Peter's primary areas of scholarship are philosophy of education and educational policy studies. His research interests include the ethics and politics of education, literature and education, the work of Paulo Freire, and tertiary education policy.
- Roberts P. and Saeverot H. (2018) Education and the Limits of Reason: Reading Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Nabokov. New York: Routledge. 143.
- Roberts P. (2016) Happiness, hope, and despair: Rethinking the role of education. New York: Peter Lang. 140. http://dx.doi.org/10.3726/978-1-4539-1706-0.
- Roberts P., Gibbons A. and Heraud R. (2015) Education, Ethics and Existence: Camus and the Human Condition. New York: Routledge. 138pp.
- Roberts P. and Freeman-Moir J. (2013) Better Worlds: Education, Art, and Utopia. Lanham: Lexington Books. xvi+180.
- Roberts P. (2012) From West to East and Back Again: An Educational Reading of Hermann Hesse's Later Work. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. v+101. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-94-6091-805-6.
Peter took up his current appointment in April 2008, having previously worked for 13 years at the University of Auckland (1995-2008) and 7 years at the University of Waikato (1988-1994). His teaching and research interests are in philosophy of education and educational policy studies.