UC Aho Hīnātore | UC Accelerator Scholarship
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation) and Dean of Postgraduate Research invite applications, from UC staff and students, for the 2022 UC Aho Hīnātore | UC Accelerator Scholarship.
The kupu, Aho Hīnātore, refers to luminescent light, which is a fitting name for this scholarship which aims to transition UC’s best and brightest current, and recently completed, students to Doctoral studies at UC.
A total of 40 UC Aho Hīnātore | Accelerator Scholarships will be made available, eight of which will be reserved for Māori and Pasifika students. Each scholarship is made up of a $6,000 small project scholarship and, if a student is successful in that small project, they will be awarded a $28,000 stipend plus domestic fees per annum for a maximum of 360 points of enrolment in a UC PhD Program. The small project scholarship must include a minimum of $1,500 co-funding from an external partner or Department/School funds.
See the Scholarship Regulations for more information.
Application Deadline: 5pm Friday 10th September, 2021
All students, and their proposed supervisors, will be notified of the outcome of their applications by 31st October 2021.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, potential students must:
- Qualify for admission to the PhD at UC. In cases where a potential student demonstrates particular promise but does not yet meet the research experience requirement of the PhD (and by prior negotiation with the Dean of Postgraduate Research), accelerated admission to the PhD may be approved (further information can be found at https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/get-started/scholarships/types/uc-aho-hntore--uc-accelerator-scholarship/);
- Have completed their most recent study at UC, prior to April 2022;
- Exhibit a minimum GPA of 7 in the last two years of study;
- Students must not be enrolled in another course during the project period, unless approved by the Dean of Postgraduate Research.
During the project, individuals must:
- Dedicate at least 25 hours per week to the project across a 12 week period;
- If an international student, have a valid visa (check with Immigration NZ https://www.immigration.govt.nz/)
- Understand that if they successfully complete this project, they will be offered a UC Aho Hīnātore | Accelerator PhD Scholarship valued at $28K per annum plus tuition for a maximum of 360 points of PhD study.
- Students must commence their research project by 1st April 2022 and their Doctoral enrolment by 1st July 2022
After the project, individuals must submit the Aho Hīnātore Evaluation Form within one week of completion of the 12-week project to be eligible for the Accelerator PhD Scholarship.
How to Apply
Applications are made online at the following link: Accelerator Scholarship Applications
There is also an FAQ page to assist with this process: https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/get-started/scholarships/types/uc-aho-hntore--uc-accelerator-scholarship/
Further information regarding application and decision-making processes can be found here Aho Hīnātore Information