You came TO DIE?!
Perceptual adaptation to regional accents as a new lens on the puzzle of spoken word recognition
- Cathi Best University of Western Sydney
- Jen Hay NZILBB and Linguistics Department
- Jason Shaw Yale University
- Paul Foulkes University of York
- Bronwen Evans University College London
- Gerry Docherty Griffith University
Funding Agency: Australian Research Council
- January 2012 to December 2015
Investigating Australian, New Zealand and UK listeners adaptation to each other's accents will reveal how we achieve stable word recognition via flexible adjustment to pronunciation differences. Results will inform word recognition theory and illuminate why unfamiliar accents are difficult for language learners and automatic speech recognisers.