Qualifications & Memberships
Professor McAuliffe leads the University of Canterbury Speech Production-Perception Research Laboratory (UC Speech Lab), is Deputy Director of the New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain & Behaviour (NZILBB) and leads the Language & Ageing Research Theme of the NZILBB.
UC Speech Lab aims to conduct research of scientific and theoretical significance with clear application to the clinical practice of speech-language therapy and audiology. We study the interaction between the speech signal and a listener’s perception of that signal. We are particularly interested in adverse listening conditions, and use both naturally (e.g., dysarthric) and artificially distorted speech signals to investigate our questions of interest.
- Fletcher A. and McAuliffe M. (2021) Comparing lexical cues in listener processing of dysarthria and speech in noise. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 30(3s): 1572-1579. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2020_AJSLP-20-00137.
- Kyaw TA., Fok C., Teh R., Tin ST., Williams E., McAuliffe M. and Searchfield GD. (2021) Impact of COVID-19 lockdown on social support status among older New Zealanders with hearing impairment. Speech, Language and Hearing http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2050571X.2021.1935120.
- Levy ES., Chang YM., Hwang K. and McAuliffe MJ. (2021) Perceptual and acoustic effects of dual-focus speech treatment in children with dysarthria. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 64(6s): 2301-2316. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2020_JSLHR-20-00301.
- Eijk L., Fletcher A., McAuliffe M. and Janse E. (2020) The effects of word frequency and word probability on speech rhythm in Dysarthria. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 63(9): 2833-2845. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00389.
- Wisler AA., Fletcher AR. and McAuliffe MJ. (2020) Predicting montreal cognitive assessment scores from measures of speech and language. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 63(6): 1752-1761. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2020_JSLHR-19-00183.