Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include investigating the effectiveness of interventions for children with autism spectrum disorder. This includes research into preference-enhanced communication systems, treatments for sleep disturbance in children with autism, toilet training, and Functional Behavioural Assessment.
I am the Principal Investigator for The Good Nights Programme at the University of Canterbury. This programme of research focuses on investigating the effectiveness of functional behavioural assessment (FBA) informed interventions for sleep problems in children and adolescents with developmental disorders and the secondary benefits of improving sleep on parent and child wellbeing. In 2017, I was awarded a Health Research Council Early Career Researcher Grant ($160,000) and in 2018, I was awarded an Marsden Fast-Start Researcj Grant ($300,000) to support this programme of research.
- Ford KAM., McLay LK., France KG., Blampied NM. and Gibbs RM. (2022) Correction to: Systematic Review of the Effect of Modification of Antecedents in the Treatment of Sleep Problems Among Children on the Autism Spectrum (Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders, (2022), 6, 3, (253-269), 10.1007/s41252-021-00224-8). Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders 6(3): 366. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s41252-021-00229-3.
- Ford KAM., McLay LK., France KG., Blampied NM. and Gibbs RM. (2022) Systematic Review of the Effect of Modification of Antecedents in the Treatment of Sleep Problems Among Children on the Autism Spectrum. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders 6(3): 253-269. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s41252-021-00224-8.
- Hunter JE., McLay LK., France KG., Swit CS. and Blampied NM. (2022) Parent Perceptions of Sleep-Related Stereotypy Within Sleep Problems in Children on the Autism Spectrum: Implications for Behavioral Treatment. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s41252-022-00246-w.
- Lang R., Muharib R., Rispoli M. and McLay L. (2022) Suggestions for training preservice practitioners to appraise evidence-based practice using EBCAI’s research commentaries. Evidence-Based Communication Assessment and Intervention 16(1): 39-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17489539.2022.2069468.
- McLay LK., Bowden NJ., Eggleston MJF., Thabrew H., Braund R. and Schluter PJ. (2022) Melatonin dispensing and polypharmacy rates for New Zealand children with autism or attention deficit hyperactivity disorders: A nationwide pharmacoepidemiological study. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 93 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2022.101948.