Qualifications & Memberships
Dr. Christoph Bartneck is an associate professor and director of postgraduate studies at the HIT Lab NZ of the University of Canterbury. He has a background in Industrial Design and Human-Computer Interaction, and his projects and studies have been published in leading journals, newspapers, and conferences. His interests lie in the fields of Human-Computer Interaction, Science and Technology Studies, and Visual Design. More specifically, he focuses on the effect of anthropomorphism on human-robot interaction. As a secondary research interest he works on bibliometric analyses, agent based social simulations, and the critical review on scientific processes and policies. In the field of Design Christoph investigates the history of product design, tessellations and photography.
He has worked for several international organizations including the Technology Centre of Hannover (Germany), LEGO (Denmark), Eagle River Interactive (USA), Philips Research (Netherlands), ATR (Japan), and The Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands). The press regularly reports on his work, including the New Scientist, Scientific American, Popular Science, Wired, New York Times, The Times, BBC, Huffington Post, Washington Post, The Guardian, and The Economist.
- Addison A., Yogeeswaran K. and Bartneck C. (2019) Robots can be more than Black and White: Understanding Racial Bias toward Robots. Hawaii: AAAI/ACM Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics, and Society, 28-30 Jan 2019. In Proceedings for the AAAI/ACM Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Ethics, and Society: 493-498. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3306618.3314272.
- Bartneck C. (2019) Advise for the young at heart. http://dx.doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/7KFRZ. [MP3].
- Bartneck C. (2019) Aldebaran Or How To Sell A Robot. http://dx.doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/7KFRZ. [MP3].
- Bartneck C. (2019) Art in Human-Robot Interaction. http://dx.doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/7KFRZ. [MP3].
- Bartneck C. (2019) Autonomous Vehicles – Legal Concerns. http://dx.doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/7KFRZ. [MP3].