My research focuses on facilitating speech, language and literacy development in young children with developmental disabilities, the relationship between spoken and written language for these children and understanding the home and school environments in which this development occurs. Special interests include partnering with parents and professionals in the provision of evidence based early intervention for children with developmental disabilities particularly children with Down syndrome.
- Foster-Cohen S., Papp V. and van Bysterveldt A. (2018) Unpacking pragmatic development in children with developmental disabilities. Wellington, New Zealand: 2018 Language and Society Conference, 15-16 Nov 2018.
- O'Toole C., Lee ASY., Gibbon FE., van Bysterveldt AK. and Hart NJ. (2018) Parent-mediated interventions for promoting communication and language development in young children with Down syndrome. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018(10) CD012089: 74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012089.pub2.
- van Bysterveldt AK., Foster-Cohen S. and Papp V. (2018) Early vocabularies of young children with Down syndrome: describing the sign to word transition. Boston, MA, USA: American Speech-Language Hearing Association Convention, 15-17 Nov 2018.
- van Bysterveldt AK., Westerveld M. and Garvis S. (2018) Parents’ and teacher aides’ perceptions and expectations of the language and communication abilities of children with Down syndrome. Speech, Language and Hearing http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/2050571X.2018.1515288.
- Foster-Cohen S. and van Bysterveldt AK. (2017) Using the LUI with children with multisystem disabilities”. Symposium presentation at the International Association for the Study of Child Language. International Association for the Study of Child Language: International Association for the Study of Child Language, 21 Jul 2017.